SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

As promised, I now started processing the videos from the Nurburgring trip and the first is up:

http://youtu.be/qPkGDEpLa0I

Unfortunately, it is the only video where I managed to get the logger working and it is also the slowest and busiest lap.

More videos will come soonish, including a couple from the Autobahn! :)

Now that I got the first video converted, the others should take less - I hope!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Kind of sounds like you had marbles rolling around in your car ;) that looks like so much fun! The 2.8T doesn't even sound like it's working too hard, it's a nice change over my 2.0T which always lets you know when it's trying to go fast

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Kind of sounds like you had marbles rolling around in your car ;) that looks like so much fun! The 2.8T doesn't even sound like it's working too hard, it's a nice change over my 2.0T which always lets you know when it's trying to go fast
It was the camera vibrating on the mount :)

But about the sound, I have to say that the car is just very quiet inside. Driving through Germany inside a tunnel it sounds like a proper high powered engine. What do you think those twin exhausts are there for?? :)

·
Registered
486 Posts
It is how the ECU sends out the information - it would be possible to compensate for it but a pain in the ***. It doesn't go to 0 either... :)
Yes the Torque Android app shows the same thing. And it sucks that I can't specify the zero/100 points.

Great job! I also took my 2.0T Aero to the track yesterday. Cayuga Toronto Motorsports Park. The Torque app Track Recorder plugin has trouble syncing ECU telemetry and video footage, it doesn't look right at all. I wish I've known of ALapRecorder sooner.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes the Torque Android app shows the same thing. And it sucks that I can't specify the zero/100 points.

Great job! I also took my 2.0T Aero to the track yesterday. Cayuga Toronto Motorsports Park. The Torque app Track Recorder plugin has trouble syncing ECU telemetry and video footage, it doesn't look right at all. I wish I've known of ALapRecorder sooner.
Beware! ALapRecorder has been dropped by the developer and doesn't work well in ICS version of Android so YMMV... I went to great extents to get something out of it on this session and even then I only managed to get one lap correctly. Also, my setup is quite complicated - Logging and overlay exporting from ALapRecorder and Video/Audio from my Lumix camera.

I piece and sync it all together after in Premiere and apply some effects, etc.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Beware! ALapRecorder has been dropped by the developer and doesn't work well in ICS version of Android so YMMV... I went to great extents to get something out of it on this session and even then I only managed to get one lap correctly. Also, my setup is quite complicated - Logging and overlay exporting from ALapRecorder and Video/Audio from my Lumix camera.

I piece and sync it all together after in Premiere and apply some effects, etc.
Interesting, sounds like a lot of work. So aLapRecorder only generates the ECU data. But what does the final product layer look like? Is it just gauges on top of a blank screen which you key out in Premiere?

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting, sounds like a lot of work. So aLapRecorder only generates the ECU data. But what does the final product layer look like? Is it just gauges on top of a blank screen which you key out in Premiere?
Correct - it can generate log data to import into another program or it can generate blue croma picture files for every single frame which, when played consecutively and with the blue background turned to transparency, can be overlaid over video, either captured with ALapRecorder itself or a different source.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
About 52 seconds in I realized I had a stupid little high school grin on my face.

I think it's about time I adjusted my bucket list!

Thanks for posting that.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Thank you for posting this.... Playstation 3 does this no justice LOL. We could never have a track like that in America, they would always stay in the left lane and text, or read a book.

Thanks for posting that!
Jeff

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
About 52 seconds in I realized I had a stupid little high school grin on my face.

I think it's about time I adjusted my bucket list!

Thanks for posting that.
To you and all others wondering "Maybe I should..." I just say: Do IT!

I have been a car nut ever since I was 5 - I love cars. Period. And this might sound exagerated, butI put this experience as one of the best in my life, almost up there with my son's birth.

To see so many countless videos of this mythical place and then one day find myself sitting there having coffee and 1h after driving that track... you cannot put a price on that. I just had a blast and would do it again in a blink of an eye. Me and my friend spent a couple of thousands of Euros to do this but... we both agree that it was all worth it and the experience is intense. Not to mention that the entire mountain region of Eifel where the track is located is beautiful.

I will have a few other videos up of the Autobahn, the region and also my opinions and babbling - these might take a couple of weeks more because I really need to edit and am still going on holiday but... meanwhile...

...drum roll...

My 1st lap EVER of the Nurburgring - 9:55 :)
http://youtu.be/zTcyf-4w1YI

·
Registered
609 Posts
Beware! ALapRecorder has been dropped by the developer and doesn't work well in ICS version of Android so YMMV...
Nice vids. I use a similar setup, I have ALapRecorder on my ICS Android. I use the camera on the phone and it works well, but exporting the video with telemetry looks like a major PITA. I don't understand why it can't export it as a single video file, and instead stores the telemetry, GPS and video as three different files. :x

I love the lateral and accelerating/braking g-force data. Were you able to record g-force data for your runs?

We could never have a track like that in America, they would always stay in the left lane and text, or read a book.
Not true. While you correctly describe our highways a race track is a completely difference story. I find that the vast majority of people on the track are courteous to faster drivers and provide point-bys once they are aware there is a faster car behind them.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Awesome trip. One question, what is the reason for the turn signal? It is very prominent on the videos. At least the clicking sounds like a turn signal to me.

Is that the case?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I thought the Ring observed traffic signals from the motorways, which is to say you are expected to pass on the left. Correct? Why do you need to signal?

Im curious about the rules now.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts