21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,137 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,137 Posts
I recall the no start blown fuse debacle. :LOL:

I'm sure you'll figure it out, you always do.

Reactions: swedespeed7

·
Super Moderator
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I recall the no start blown fuse debacle. :LOL:

I'm sure you'll figure it out, you always do.
haha oh MAN I had completely forgotten about that. You're right, but this is a way bigger "idiot" moment. At least this timing chain job is astronomically easier than the one I did on our 9-4X Aero. That was pretty brutal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm sorry I'm just going to go ahead and jump in here and ask a question because I'm curious. I've got an 04 93 Arc and I did a cylinder head and timing chain on mine relatively easily and when I took my crankshaft pulley off it wasn't pressed on it just slid on and slid off do you have a motor that's different from the 2.0 turbo? Mine wasn't a press fit

·
Super Moderator
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yeah the 2.0T isn't a press fit. The V6 is, however.

·
Super Moderator
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Smashed it GOOD. Pain in the *** to get out without damaging the crankshaft, but I finally got it with a combination of tools. Yes, I'm doing the timing/balance components lol. Gotta do it right to sleep at night

Lesson learned

Reactions: Hus_sho

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
Nice looking wedge. Glad you found it.

·
Super Moderator
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Unbelievably, I also found 2 hairline cracks in the balance crank sprocket. The are only on the face, they don't go any further to the backside. Needless to say that's getting replaced as well. The cam sprockets don't look worn to me, what do you guys think? Can I reuse them?

·
Super Moderator
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Also, another question - since there are no typical triangular marks on the cam sprockets, do the large holes on each sprocket designate where the colored chain links go?

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
You need cam locking tools.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Cam sprockets look fine.
however, thinking that u removed the timing gears now while u didnt have an approximate timing mark even, u need to remove the camshafts before u try to turn the engine, after u r done with the putting crank sprocket, balance chain, timing cover and crank pulley and timed it correctly, with the timing tensioner removed, u can reinstall the camshaft and set their orientations (visually if u chosed to, however cam locks will get u 100% first time and will guarantee 100% performance at top end) and then install cam sprockets with the chain, after all tight, install and activate tensioner, bear in mind if u r not using the locking tool, the exhaust cam will turn on u the moment u activate the tensioner (So anticipate )

·
Super Moderator
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Cam sprockets look fine.
however, thinking that u removed the timing gears now while u didnt have an approximate timing mark even, u need to remove the camshafts before u try to turn the engine, after u r done with the putting crank sprocket, balance chain, timing cover and crank pulley and timed it correctly, with the timing tensioner removed, u can reinstall the camshaft and set their orientations (visually if u chosed to, however cam locks will get u 100% first time and will guarantee 100% performance at top end) and then install cam sprockets with the chain, after all tight, install and activate tensioner, bear in mind if u r not using the locking tool, the exhaust cam will turn on u the moment u activate the tensioner (So anticipate )
The engine was in the correct timing position when I removed everything. The exhaust and intake cam lobes are pointing up and the crank key is at 12:00. The cam sprockets aren't keyed for the camshafts, even though the camshafts have a keyway.

Why would I need to remove the camshafts? That doesn't make sense to me. Also, I was just going to hold the camshafts with a 24mm wrench on the hex feature when tightening the cam sprocket bolts. Why would I need the locking tools?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
they are not only locking tools, they are timing tools, as u know visually would not set it 100%.

Im not sure about the location of the key when the engine is timed, the engine is considered timed when the crank pulley mark matches the mark on the timing cover, and since urs was offset, im not sure how u gona confirm 100% it was timed ! Its a big gamble to take

·
Super Moderator
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
they are not only locking tools, they are timing tools, as u know visually would not set it 100%.

Im not sure about the location of the key when the engine is timed, the engine is considered timed when the crank pulley mark matches the mark on the timing cover, and since urs was offset, im not sure how u gona confirm 100% it was timed ! Its a big gamble to take
The crank pulley mark aligned with the timing cover mark. When that mark is aligned, the key is at 12:00. It's timed.

·
Super Moderator
9,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I'll just rent the cam locking tools to be safe. My question was though, does it matter what orientation the cam sprockets go back on? They are free floating, not indexed or anything.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Exactly, with the crank on time, install the cam locks, install the chain on the cam sprockets, and install the sprockets into camshaft finger tight, then install timing chain tensioner and activate it (i assume u already deactivated it before installation), then tighten cam sprocket bolts as simple as this.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts