SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Edit: I'm a big dummy and crushed the crank key

Just replaced the crankshaft seal on this 2005 Aero. Now with engine running noticing wobble to the pulley. What's going on here? Looks out of balance to me.

·
Super Moderator
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reinstall the crankshaft pulley, the torque is 100NM+75 degrees
OK dumb question - how do you torque the pulley without the engine rotating?

·
Registered
2005 9-3 ARC 2.0t
12 Posts
saab 8396210 tool
Do you have an air impact wrench?
I can't help without it

·
Super Moderator
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The clutch won't hold it if you put it in gear?
It's an automatic. I guess I could put it in drive? Seems like a bad idea though

·
Super Moderator
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
saab 8396210 tool
Do you have an air impact wrench?
I can't help without it
Yeah I do. The bolt comes off easily with the impact but the crankshaft spins when I try to torque it to spec with a torque wrench. Unfortunately now I can't remove the pulley, it's too tight on there. Gonna need a puller or something

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
It's an automatic. I guess I could put it in drive? Seems like a bad idea though
You're not going to get close to the torque rating on the transmission, so that might work.

·
Registered
5,461 Posts

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
just use an impact gun man and snug it good.
although i think u damaged the key here by forcing it on, did u drive it in by the bolt ?

·
Super Moderator
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just use an impact gun man and snug it good.
although i think u damaged the key here by forcing it on, did u drive it in by the bolt ?
F***

Yes. That's exactly what happened. How the hell did you know that? I'm such an idiot. I swear I had the pulley keyed before torque-ing the pulley bolt. I can see that the woodruff key is slightly crushed. The old pulley has a dent in it just next to the keyway. What should I do now? I really don't feel like doing a timing chain job just to replace a woodruff key. The key is also crushed upwards so I'd have to file it down just to get the crankshaft sprocket off. I can't even reinstall the new pulley unless I grind off the outer section of the pulley as I've demonstrated on the old pulley (pic below).

F**

Folks, this is not my finest SaabCentral moment. Be gentle.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I hope ur timing chain was due anyway, to justify the job 🤷‍♂️.
Unfortunately there is no way around it

·
Super Moderator
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope ur timing chain was due anyway, to justify the job 🤷‍♂️.
Unfortunately there is no way around it
Not even with a modified keyway on the pulley?

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
U can try to remove chain tensioners, lock the cams, and extract the key, and if there is no damage on the sprockets, insert a new key, replace the pulley and call it a day, however im guessing it wont be easy to extract the key.

·
Super Moderator
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
U can try to remove chain tensioners, lock the cams, and extract the key, and if there is no damage on the sprockets, insert a new key, replace the pulley and call it a day, however im guessing it wont be easy to extract the key.
Besides the timing chain kit, what else should I be replacing while I'm in there? Might as well as car has over 150,000 miles. Tensioners and guides probably could use replacing.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Tensioners, guides, chains, sprockets if damaged, water pump and the associated seals , valve cover gasket, timing cover gasket, front crank seal, belt and tensioner .
But first inspect crankshaft for any damage .

·
Super Moderator
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tensioners, guides, chains, sprockets if damaged, water pump and the associated seals , valve cover gasket, timing cover gasket, front crank seal, belt and tensioner .
But first inspect crankshaft for any damage .
What kind of damage would you expect or not expect to the crankshaft?

·
Super Moderator
9,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Any damage that could prevent the key from being installed snugly ..
Got it, thanks. Should I replace the 3 sprockets even if they're not damaged? Or just reuse them?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts