1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I believe ericsaabsite.com had something similar...a dual-stage boost control. With the flip of a switch, he changes from ECU-controlled boost to MBC and vice-versa.

·
Registered
40 Posts
there would be no need to run an MBC with a tuned ecu. The tuned ECU runs the higher boost that the MBC would run. If you were gonna do a stg 1, us get an MBC and not bother with the tune. They would run pretty much the same boost, and the MBC would be way cheaper than the tune would.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there would be no need to run an MBC with a tuned ecu. The tuned ECU runs the higher boost that the MBC would run. If you were gonna do a stg 1, us get an MBC and not bother with the tune. They would run pretty much the same boost, and the MBC would be way cheaper than the tune would.
Wouldn't I have much better power output from the engine with the stage 1 ecu anyways? Nordic claims that a stage 1 ecu would provide 220hp/243ftlbs of torque. How comparable would that mbc be then? Is the mbc really that drastic?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Def go with the ECU! It doesn't just affect the turbo but advances the timing and everything else. Its a much better investment and much better for your car (or at least from my line of thought).
Don't bother with the MBC (or MBC+A) unless it really is your cup of tea. I think most of the people on this board would agree the ECU is the way to go.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You're looking at 200 versus 30 dollars. If u have the money, get the ecu.

I'm saving for stage 3 myself so there is an mbc under my hood

·
Registered
373 Posts
Wouldn't I have much better power output from the engine with the stage 1 ecu anyways? Nordic claims that a stage 1 ecu would provide 220hp/243ftlbs of torque. How comparable would that mbc be then? Is the mbc really that drastic?
The mbc does not change the amount of HP or torque. It only changes the amount of boost which would be less than 15.5psi since the car will limit the amount of boost.

If you are deciding to do more to your car i would not suggest getting a stage 1 ecu. If you got more hardware in your car, you would need to reflash the ecu each time you added something new; being exhaust or a turbo or injectors etc. Most people start out with a stage 3 mods: exahust including the dp, intercooler, and intake. When they get these mods on then they get their engined tuned. Reflashing for higher stages isn't as much of a big deal.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Wouldn't the MBC increase torque and horsepower? Stock cars only run up to like 10 psi max...if you run up to 15 you'd get more power. Also, the MBC sort of "widens" the range of power...

That being said, I'd still get the ECU tune.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The mbc does not change the amount of HP or torque. It only changes the amount of boost which would be less than 15.5psi since the car will limit the amount of boost.
Ummm...on your car the SMBC will not change the peak HP and TQ numbers because you have T7 management which is too smart for the MBC.

However, the OP has a T5 newgen 900 and on his car the MBC most certainly WILL add peak HP and TQ.

David

·
Registered
949 Posts
Well, this is what you said...^^

What you said is only valid for T7 and the OP is a T5.

In the case of a T5 car the MBC will produce more boost, more peak AND more off-peak horsepower and torque.

So effectively, what you said is accurate for your car but not for his.

David

1 - 13 of 13 Posts