SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just over in the Infiniti Forum, and I couldn't believe what problems they have: cars dying, armrests falling off, poor customer service, expensive replacement costs, and the like.

Infiniti was always on my shopping list. But I might spring for the '09 9-3. I'll wait out the first model year of the new 9-3 until they work out the kinks.

Maybe Saab is not so bad after all.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Well any car has it's problems. You can log on to any internet forum and find all sorts of issues with pretty much any car. People typically log on to voice a compliant rather than praise.

Mechanical failures, cheap materials, spotty craftsmanship, and poor customer service are pretty universal.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I'm closing in on 100,000 miles on my odometer, if it is anything like my previous Saab 900 it will run strong for another 100K miles.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
sptsdn said:
Well any car has it's problems. You can log on to any internet forum and find all sorts of issues with pretty much any car. People typically log on to voice a compliant rather than praise.

Mechanical failures, cheap materials, spotty craftsmanship, and poor customer service are pretty universal.
Yes, but look at the issues 9-3 owners have... Dead batteries, burned out headlight bulbs, peeling trim, and one case of a bolt which was not tightened all the way, but was still threaded in enough to do its job...
Simple fact is, Saabs are very reliable, very durable vehicles. I've seen 90k mi+ sport sedans that look like they have 20k miles, and I don't see any reason they won't last past the 200k mark for anyone who takes care of them (peeling trim aside...).

·
Registered
409 Posts
I know this isn't much consolation, but all of these cars, whether it be our Saabs, or an Infiniti or anything higher-end like this, is really complex. There's simply a lot of stuff in these cars!

I liken my old Cavalier to a Cessna 152. Reliable, but basic. This Saab? It literally has as many computers in it as an Airbus 340.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
We had some problems with our last Saab. All were covered under warranty, but it was a nuisance. When we bought a new car...Saab wasn't at the top of our list.

We began searching through the chatrooms reading the problems. Then I looked at JD Powers, NHTSA, IIHS, Edmunds, etc. I also read reviews at cars dot com, edmunds and other places from owners.

We then looked at the warranties by each car company. The dealerships and national network.

It was amazing how many people have problems with their Lexus, Acura's, Toyotas, MB, BMW's, etc. Toyota has major problems with their 2007 Toyota Camry right now. The dealer network for MB, BMW and Lexus is spread really thin and the service shops are booked.

Saab may not be perfect, but the other "premium" car manufacturers are struggling with costs, profits, overhead in a tight auto market. Saab is positioned to do well considering the warranty, quality and price.

·
Registered
824 Posts
dano1atty said:
Infiniti was always on my shopping list. But I might spring for the '09 9-3. I'll wait out the first model year of the new 9-3 until they work out the kinks.
The '08s shouldn't have any kinks. Unless you're getting XWD, it's basically the same car underneath as the current one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts