SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to recent events (drunk totalling my parked car) I am in the market for another car. I am considering a 9-3 2.0 (as well as an Audi A-4 and Subaru WRX wagon). I used to own a '92 900. For all its mechanical issues, with studded Gislaveds (sp???) it drove on snow and icey roads like it was on rails. Very confidence inspiring.

So my questions are...
1. Can I expect similar snow/ice performance from a 9-3 if similarly equipped?
2. How will the 9-3 compare to the other two cars (performance wise).

thanks!

·
Super Moderator
20,427 Posts
HadaSaab said:
Due to recent events (drunk totalling my parked car) I am in the market for another car. I am considering a 9-3 2.0 (as well as an Audi A-4 and Subaru WRX wagon). I used to own a '92 900. For all its mechanical issues, with studded Gislaveds (sp???) it drove on snow and icey roads like it was on rails. Very confidence inspiring.

So my questions are...
1. Can I expect similar snow/ice performance from a 9-3 if similarly equipped?
2. How will the 9-3 compare to the other two cars (performance wise).

thanks!
1. Absolutely. I would bet even better performance with new technology.
2. Similar performance as the A4 all around, slower off the line than the WRX (especially if you dump the clutch... AWD>FWD from a dig), similar from a roll, but better as the AWD limits the WRX.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have a story that a friend experianced first hand.
He and his buddy were coming back from a Vermont ski trip one evening, and the highway wasn't completly plowed, one lane had a hedgerow and several inches of snow in the other lane.
Here they are tooling down a lane somewhat void of snow in an A6 Audi Quatro, afraid to go into the fast lane due to the deeper snow. From way behind the two guys in the Audi see headlights coming up fast from behind, and then along side and then finally passing the Audi. My friend was the passenger in the Audi and the driver was quite ticked off that a vehicle was able to pass him in a lane he earlier had difficulty holding the car straight in.
The car that passed them was a 9.3 Saab!
He told me this story long before I bought a Saab, and recently I asked him to tell me the whole story all over again.

·
Registered
885 Posts
monsaab said:
I have a story that a friend experianced first hand.
He and his buddy were coming back from a Vermont ski trip one evening, and the highway wasn't completly plowed, one lane had a hedgerow and several inches of snow in the other lane.
Here they are tooling down a lane somewhat void of snow in an A6 Audi Quatro, afraid to go into the fast lane due to the deeper snow. From way behind the two guys in the Audi see headlights coming up fast from behind, and then along side and then finally passing the Audi. My friend was the passenger in the Audi and the driver was quite ticked off that a vehicle was able to pass him in a lane he earlier had difficulty holding the car straight in.
The car that passed them was a 9.3 Saab!
He told me this story long before I bought a Saab, and recently I asked him to tell me the whole story all over again.
not even on a ski trip, but on the North Shore of LI -- slightly hilly -- first big snow we'd had in a while (when we had our '04 93) it was a few inches of fresh wet snow on top of ice patches from freezing rain. we were driving circles around everyone on the road -mercs, audis, jeeps...- while everyone was slipping and sliding up and down streets, we were rolling through like it was nothing. and that was with the stock P6 All Seasons. complete confidence with the car and the situation. I know NY snow does not compare to Colorado snow, but at least in CO, you have drivers who know how to drive in the snow-- therein lies the key.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts