SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Saab currently suffers from a leaked head-gasket. I'm planning to let this fixed. While letting this fixed, it might be the right time to replace my stock turbocharger with a bigger one. My current turbo has been working for over 250.000km, so I don't expect it to run much longer. (especially because it runs at 1.35bar).
Now, my question is, when I switch to using a TD04, how can I prevent my sensonic system from breaking down. In other words, what are the maximum hp and nm values at which this thing can (relatively) safely work.

Thanks in advance for any advice

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would search the subject, lots of post on those questions. But it really matters on if the turbo is stock/upgraded and what stage your car is at. Just putting a TDO4 on a non tune non 3" DP would not produce any possitive results! If you want my 2 cents, its good to upwards 300-350 bhp. But search search search.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I think it would be ok but if I were you I would have it custom tuned to not have a crapton of torque at low rpm and just have the turbo save its self until higher rpms because the jolt that small turbos have will probably make short work of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your advice.
I did use the search, but I the only useful I found was this:
I think Nottingham Saab are running one with +300bhp, only bit you really need to replace is the friction disc, ideally keep the same pressure plate if possible as that will put more pressure on the actuator and probably wear it out quicker or cause the rod to crack & break.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142530&highlight=sensonic

I have got a 3" JT system (full, incl. downpipe) with sportcat.
Currently at stage 3 with stock turbo, doing about 265hp/370nm (wheels).
Because the stock turbo from 1996 and 250.000 (km) old, It would be wise to replace it. Especially because it is running at, what would it be 1.35-1.40 bar. :cheesy:

I was thinking about placing a TD-04 15t and bringing the car to around 330hp.
One thing I do not understand is, I thought the problem for the sensonic system would be the moment I would fully accelarate, and then shift up. At this moment the sensonic has to deal with a lot of hp and nm, right?
But you argue to let the turbo kick in at higher rpm. This would not solve the problem of shifting up, right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your advice(s).
I used the search for a while, and the only interesting posts I found about sensonic and tuning are over here:

I think Nottingham Saab are running one with +300bhp, only bit you really need to replace is the friction disc, ideally keep the same pressure plate if possible as that will put more pressure on the actuator and probably wear it out quicker or cause the rod to crack & break.
So, I should think about changing the friction disc...

One thing I do not understand is, I thought the problem for the sensonic system would be the moment I would fully accelarate, and then shift up. At this moment the sensonic has to deal with a lot of hp and nm, right?
But you argue to let the turbo kick in at higher rpm. This will still put a lot of torque on the clutch when shifting up... (please correct me when I'm mistaken)

Because the stock turbo from 1996 and 250.000 (km) old, It would be wise to replace it. Especially because it is running at, what would it be 1.35-1.40 bar.

I was thinking about placing a TD-04 15t and bringing the car to around 330hp. Custom software will be a good idea, but what would be the right rpm to let the turbo kick in then?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used the search for a while, and the only interesting posts I found about sensonic and tuning are over here:

But you argue to let the turbo kick in at higher rpm. This will still put a lot of torque on the clutch when shifting up... (please correct me when I'm mistaken)

Because the stock turbo from 1996 and 250.000 (km) old, It would be wise to replace it. Especially because it is running at, what would it be 1.35-1.40 bar.

I was thinking about placing a TD-04 15t and bringing the car to around 330hp. Custom software will be a good idea, but what would be the right rpm to let the turbo kick in then?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

1 - 7 of 7 Posts