SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an issue with the passenger window that one day (magically) the windows were all working, then I can roll DOWN the passenger window, but not up... Yikes!

So I pulled the assembly and played with it. I could feel that all the switches go "click" real subtle when you push them, and when I pull them, they all make a similar subtle "click" except the front passenger switch.

So I know I can replace the whole thing, but I took that one switch off (maybe broke the black cap thing? The part you actually push/pull might not be intended to come off once installed?) and saw what look like tiny leaf-spring contacts that get pressed onto copper pads, and the opposite one pulls off the other copper pad. So I installed it all ghetto to see if it works, and it does. When I use a tiny screwdriver to push on the correct pad, I can close the window now (hooray! No fear of rain!)

BUT this is for my wife's car, and I want it to look correct for her. If I put the cap back on, it still doesn't work. If I just tilt the clear switch inside, I can open but not close it just like before. So how do I get the whole thing open to re-configure the spring clip that must have come loose, or how do I reconnect it without breaking all the other caps?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I took one apart a while ago and found significant wear/abrasion on the moving plastic contact parts, such that it wasn't completing the metal to metal contacts. Interesting that your passenger window is suffering, implying that that one is most used. Maybe the plastic parts are interchangeable between positions (front right vs. rear left?).

Doug

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
yes, the switches can be entirely disassembled and cleaned. There are two things that go wrong:

First, the contacts get burned and dirty making them not work as well. The metal contacts can be taken out and cleaned and that will solve this problem.

Second, when the contacts are dirty and burned the resistance is higher which makes them get hot. There are small plastic white things in there that push the contacts into position and they will melt on the end and then stop pushing the contact hard enough. You can't do anything about this once it happens.

fortunately there is a solution. The window on/off switch has a full set of these little white things but only half of them are used, the switch is a "double pole" switch but only one of those are actually connected to something.

So, take the switch apart (be very careful about the springs when you pull things out) clean all of the contacts and then use the "spare" parts in the window on/off switch to repair the switch that isn't working.

The rockers parts and the black covers just pry off, gently. you may have to spread the holders apart to get them out but they do come out.

FWIW I like to keep a spare window switch around just for parts. you can get them pretty cheap at junkyards and the good thing is that you don't really need to find one that is 100% good since the only real thing that breaks is those little white parts, that melt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The rockers parts and the black covers just pry off, gently. you may have to spread the holders apart to get them out but they do come out.
So this is the part I was worried about. I don't think I saw anything that looked burned, it all looked shiny silver and copper, but maybe underneath the contact could be wearing, but either way, it works with the screwdriver trick (like an eye-glass screwdriver that fits in the tiny gap)

I'm worried about removing the black rockers because it felt like it cracked the little retaining clips on the way out, and when I put it back on just to check, it didn't feel like it would stay...

Otherwise it looks just like the switch from a mechanical keyboard, except rocks instead of depressing (and I think it might be ALPS switches?? Good stuff!)

so either the pin melted like you said, or it broke off. Either way, I could totally fabricate a new pin and glue it in there or something, right? I mean if I'm going to the trouble to disassemble it anyway...

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
yea, taking them apart is nerve wracking but you can do it. I've done it a number of times having owned something like 6 9-5s at this point.

you don't have to make one since the nice people from Saab gave you a spare in the window switch. Next time.

but take all of the contacts out and clean them and there will likely not be a next time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts