SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i'm replacing my MC and while she's gonna have to be fully bled out, i figure why not do the calipers too?(they're shot already anyway)

so... what do i have to do as far as replacing the MC( the one it the car now appears nothing like the Girling i'm getting, but 12 different sources come up with only the girling)
i basically need a step by step since i'm new to the upper end of the braking system. also, things to look out for when detaching the calipers. (is just bleeding the line off enough?)

thanks in advance.. hope to get some help

-=tristan=-

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Both the MC and brake calipers are straightforward. Simply unbolt and bolt. But you need to play body contortionist doing the MC.

Two bolt for the MC and one clamp on the hydraulic hose. As for the caliper, two bolts using an allen wrench (an appropriate sized torx bit works fine). one wire clip and one hydraulic hose connection. If you are using a set of new brake pads, use a c-clamp to push the piston back.

Don't know what else to tell you. It is really that straightforward.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yaofeng said:
Both the MC and brake calipers are straightforward. Simply unbolt and bolt. But you need to play body contortionist doing the MC.

Two bolt for the MC and one clamp on the hydraulic hose. As for the caliper, two bolts using an allen wrench (an appropriate sized torx bit works fine). one wire clip and one hydraulic hose connection. If you are using a set of new brake pads, use a c-clamp to push the piston back.

ok so nothing to worry about with the MC as far as pressurization?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
No. Not really. As the brake fluid comes from the reservoir. So it is atmospheric plus two feet maximum. Higher pressure occurs on the downstream side.

Yes. I forgot to mention a screw connection on the downstream side of the MC going to the slave cylinder. But that 's as complicated as it gets.

·
Registered
731 Posts
yaofeng said:
If you are using a set of new brake pads, use a c-clamp to push the piston back.
Not on the rears! They have to be wound in with the adjuster, otherwise you will break the adjuster mechanism.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
johncc said:
Not on the rears! They have to be wound in with the adjuster, otherwise you will break the adjuster mechanism.
well as it happens .. i'm getting new calipers too. but i already went through the anguish of trying to press back the rear calipers, not knowing about that pin when i did my pads a few months back.

thanks everyone.. guess i'll see how it goes later today.... have class now :(

-=tristan=-

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
yaofeng said:

http://www.thesaabsite.com/shop/catimages/8964892.jpg this would be the right MC, correct?

*edit* now i just need to find where it is on the car. it doesn't appear to be located directly under the resevoir, like i expected.
http://www.ancmusic.com/res1.jpg

This is what i find under the resevoir.
http://www.ancmusic.com/MChunt1.jpg

Anyone have pics of a job they did?.. or.. at all? thanks

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i think my problems are arising from the fact that my '91 has ABS, and the only information on this car, speaks of non-ABS applications. Now what bothers me is that the dealer had no knowledge of more than one master cylinder for this car, yet what's there doesn't match what should be there.

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
thanks in advance :)

-=tristan=-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts