SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1989 SPG that runs great but still won't pass the emissions test. The only two things that I have not changed are the o2 censer and the cadaledic converter. I did a check today on the diagnostic codes and found that the only code was the mass air censor, no signal. Is there a way to check the mass air censor if it is good or not? It was cleaned (carefully) not too long ago.

I have taken the car through the emissions testing 7 times and still no pass. It has come so close that the o2 was 0 but the nock was bad, even the mechanic was sure that running the car a week would get the cadeledic converter to normal and that didn't work. In fact, one week later after almost passing it had the worse test it had ever had. The tests have been up and down, very sporadic. The emissions run test would go well but the curb test would be poor. I would also see a lot of smoke come up from under the car in the middle of the test. There were no holes in the exhaust and no idea where the smoke came from. It's like all of a sudden a valve would open and then all the smoke would come out.

I was talking to a guy from www.saabsite.com and he said to ignore the codes and it would be unlikely that it would be the o2 censor. Any Ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Dennis

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
O2 sensors come and go. They are relatively inexpensive, just buy the one for a Ford 302 V8 (4.9litre) and splice the wires.

Might want to get a bottle of that "guaranteed to pass" stuff, usually it's alcohol or something, and it will either "clean" your motor or just burn cleanly itself, I dunno, Quebec has no emissions :D

Catalysts should never fail really. Think about it - it's a catalyst - not consumed in the reaction. Might be "dirty" inside, but with the temps in that thing I doubt it.

You keep getting a AMM no-signal code? Maybe it is unplugged or something? Check Engine light illuminated? Check the connector to see if it is continuity to the other side, maybe the wire is busted.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The wire looks good and I have cleaned out the AMM and it is connected. It's the Nox that is the problem mostly. I saw on a thread that MSOE MILLER and WILLY ****A said that the variable resistor screw could be changed to 225 ohms, is this true with the 89 SPG bosh unit?

You say that a ford 302 will work? What year? The O2 sencer that is for my car is around $260.00 here.

The check engine light is not on at this time since I checked the codes and cleared them. The light comes on when the car is idling at times, not often. If I bring up the rpm's the light will go out

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the AMM can be changed what prongs on the conecter should I be on?

Oh and that was Willy ****a, I don't know what happend there.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about a charcoal canister, Could this be a problem? I know that this one has been on there for a while.
Can anyone till me if the AMM can be adjusted for this car. The unit is a Bosch #0280212013. It has a black box on top of an aluminum base. The bore is black plastic. If this can be done, what are the test points? Thanks for your help,
Dennis

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If you can tell me the test points, what are the ohms to be for better emisions?,
There is still the posibility that the AMM is no good, how can I test it to see if it is good?

Dennis

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can anyone here help with this problem at all. You guys are my last bit of help to pin point the problem. The dealer here is quoted to be the best around and yet I just keep spending the money. I would like to pin point the problem and as far as the engine codes go it is the AMM. Can it be checked to see if it is good? What about the charcoal canister? can this also be a problem to emissions? This car runs perfect and I can't even drive it till the thing passes the emissions. Again any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Dennis--

If the O2 sensor was bad, it would post its own trouble code in the ECU. Forget about it at the moment.

Your trouble code says it's a bad AMM. This would definitely explain the emissions failure,l because excess NOx is produced if the mixture is even a little too lean:evil:

I suggest you try a used AMM from a junkyard (and no, the adjustable AMMs were not fitted to North American non-Turbo cars after 1987--Turbo models, after 1988). Clear your codes, and see what a new AMM does for you:)

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your reply. Since this is an 89 spg it is going to be a problem to find a used one. I may just order a new one to be safe. Also the reason why I asked about the adjustment was that there is a spot on the top of the black plastic box that has a place for (what seems to be) an adjustment.

I am new to the site and appreciate the help very much. I bought the car a year ago and still can't drive it legally, since the forth-temporary plate expired. They won't let me get another. Hope this is the ticket.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts