SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever run any Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas of there SAAB Turbo's? When I took the plugs out of my '95 Aero 5-speed the outer part of the plugs had some carbon deposts, want to remove them so the compresion does not get to high! I have used it many times on Toyota and Hondas to clean up carbon deposits in the upper engine area. :cheesy:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ok, I know fellow pilots who use Marvel Mystery Oil all the time in their planes and say it does the same thing. But, even the Marvel site doesn't say anything about it cleaning the valves, etc. And, once the pilots stop using it they still have the sticky valves. I remember years ago MMO was known as a top end lubricant and it slowly evolved to a cleaner. Personally, I would use and have used seafoam to clean the valves, injectors, etc. Let me know if you find actual data on what's in it and how it cleans.

·
Banned
637 Posts
Old and time proven Trick is to Get a couple quart (or more) Bottle of water and attach a vacuum line to it from your intake plenum. Being reasonably carefull so as to not induce a hydralock (control the flow by squeezing the line as needed) run the engine untill the water is all absorbed by the engine. This amoungst some is an annual event/procedure to remove carbon /yuck deposits from the valves and cylinders as well as the Catalytic.
Believe it or not it Does work.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really!!

I think I will stick with some thing combustable like Seafoam or MMO.:eek: I guess it can't hurt to add 8 oz. of MMO to my next tank of gas. Seafoam in a vacuum line seems like my best bet.:cheesy:

·
Banned
637 Posts
Believe it or not... this is a procedure carried out and recommended by Jak on the Saabnet.com Performance board.
In all other respects his knowledge is neither trivial nor easily discounted.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Water works great, but if you add too much....dead.

Seafoam works great, and the engine stalls if you add too much, and then you restart it.

Be careful if you choose water.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Basre said:
Old and time proven Trick is to Get a couple quart (or more) Bottle of water and attach a vacuum line to it from your intake plenum. Being reasonably carefull so as to not induce a hydralock (control the flow by squeezing the line as needed) run the engine untill the water is all absorbed by the engine. This amoungst some is an annual event/procedure to remove carbon /yuck deposits from the valves and cylinders as well as the Catalytic.
Believe it or not it Does work.
how exactly does that work?... is it basically steam cleaning the innards of your engine?

G

·
Blimey! I'd be really careful using water!

Personally I'm sceptical about cleaner this and de-carbon that.

I use good quality oil, regularly changed and optimax fuel - which has detergents in it as it is.

Can't see that any further internal cleaning should be necessary, but maybe you chaps can prove me wrong. :)

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
the outer part of the plugs had some carbon deposts, want to remove them so the compresion does not get to high!
Why do you want to do things the hard way??? :eek: Whilst you have the plug in your hand get a wire brush and clean the black carbon off, check plug gaps and refit, then forget for another 5000miles or so. The carbon deposit on the out plug section is normal if you do short journeys or drive round town a lot, its the fuel mixture showing rich. Check the plugs after a hard run but before you stop switch the engine off and coast to a halt then check them, classic plug chop test.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
carbon after WOT and higway runs?

Well I drive on the highway allot and do WOT full boost every time I merge onto the highway and they still had carbon ring on old plugs. I don't want compresion to get to high in combustion chamber during WOT so I added 8 oz of MMO to a full tank of 93 octane.:cheesy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts