SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, ive done a search and read lots of posts about the marriage and divorce of OEM CD players in the 9-3, and find some contridiction between them.

Can i buy a Saab OEM CD player that hasn't been 'divorced' and have it 'married' to my car? I called my dealer and they said 'no' (but i never believe a word they say).They put me in touch with a local car audio centre and they said your Saab garage should be able to do it.

A definitive 'yes' or 'no' would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

·
Registered
330 Posts
from what i have been told and understand, that a non-divorsed unit is junk as it cannot be re-married to another car.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Coley (and the dealer) are correct. Until a radio is divorced it is a useless paperweight for any future car it might reside in.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. Looks like ill have to go for a aftermarket HU. Anyone know of a decent HU setup which blends well with the grey dash:confused:?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Yes, you can. I had it done at my local dealer. I believe I gave the tech the VIN of the vehicle from which the CD changer was taken (although I can't swear I did - it's been too long), as well as my car's VIN. He never saw either car.

They also charged me $100 to do it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
it can be done. i think i posted the steps required a while ago, you can search for that if you'd like, but as busaboy said all you need is the VIN of the other car and a tech2... some people have had to give instructions to the technician but it can be done. apparently for $100 :roll:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
In many many cases where someone purchases a spare Saab HU, there is no hope in trying to find the VIN from the car its from, i.e. ebay.

·
Registered
308 Posts
NCviggen is correct. Search using the word divorce. There is a thread I started and NC gives the specific steps to perform the task. Yes it can be done HOWEVER in order to accomplish it you must have the VINs of both vehicles.

Sorry I could not post the link....not that good yet;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just bought a used stereo and am trying to find someone that will actually follow these steps, every shop ive asked so far has its illegal and wont do it.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
It's not illegal unless you stole it. The key point is your last - they WON'T do it...probably because they don't know how and don't want to learn how.

·
Registered
48 Posts
both people said it was prohibited by the federal government to tamper with the vin number, is this considered tampering? or is there anything i can tell them to get them to do it?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
"Tampering with the VIN" means altering or defacing the VINs on the chassis and, I guess, the engine and other parts, as well as the car's documents! It's what criminals do when they're stealing stuff!!

They obviously can't or won't do it - nothing you say will likely change that. You should find a shop that knows how to work on Saabs!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I Did It

I finally found a shop to try divorcing the radio. I had to show him the steps posted earlier, and he was willing to try it out and of course it worked. so I now have a working saab stereo with a working Ipod Input Jack wired to the circuit board total cost:

$160 = 30 gb Ipod
$30= parts for input jack to stereo
$90 for replacement radio
$75 = divorcing and marrying radio
$355 = total... way more than I wanted to spend but it all works:D

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
That's not bad at all!

$160 = 30 gb Ipod <--- you got a deal on this!
$30= parts for input jack to stereo <---- I paid like $6.00. you got robbed here.
$90 for replacement radio <----- new ones are $300+ dollars! Even a nice aftermarket one is more then that!
$75 = divorcing and marrying radio <---- well... nothing you could have done here.

$355 = total... way more than I wanted to spend but it all works:D
Not bad at all.
Hell a full price 30G iPod is, what.... $250 now? $299?

·
Registered
48 Posts
It was one of the few Saab shops in my area in florida J.P foreign Automotive, they're a great shop, and have actually gotten involved with local racing clubs to race their Saabs and enter them into shows, the place is filled with trophies.

As for the $30 i paid for my inout jack stuff that included the switch the jack, 22 ga wire, and a soldering Iron, sorry i should have been a little more specific earlier.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts