SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
4 speed automatic till 01'. Slightly more Troublesome 5 speed automatic till present.

Power seats as far as I know for North America are standard; however, power seats with memory were not standard on all trim levels.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
B~P said:
how so? first i've heard of the 5 speed auto being more troublesome than the 4 speed.
After reading 100s of posts it was something I just found to be a bit more of a common problem. If you run a search I think you will be surprised to find this out too.

Can someone confirm if there are any defects known to this unit?

There are issues with something along the lines of banging into gears or something, I should have saved my search results:( . ANother one about soe software update. ect.

·
Registered
800 Posts
hmm. almost all the auto gear shifting issues I've seen over the past two years are evenly distributed between both variants. with the exception of shifting issues when cornering under changing throttle position, mostly brought up by 4 speed autos.

a lot of the issues can be traced back to improper maintenance, few to no fluid changes. not always the fault of the owner since saab has a sketchy service schedule for changing the atf. also the use of wrong fluid in the 5 speed is an issue for unsuspecting owners which might run dex 3 when the 5 speed takes 3309 only.

i vaguely recall a sw update for the auto which solves a shifting issue, but I'm not sure if it's specific to the 5 or the 4.

we're probably splitting hairs when talking about which is more reliable. either way the auto seems to be more trouble free, if slightly less gratifying to some drivers, than the manual. ;)

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
B~P said:
hmm. almost all the auto gear shifting issues I've seen over the past two years are evenly distributed between both variants. with the exception of shifting issues when cornering under changing throttle position, mostly brought up by 4 speed autos.

a lot of the issues can be traced back to improper maintenance, few to no fluid changes. not always the fault of the owner since saab has a sketchy service schedule for changing the atf. also the use of wrong fluid in the 5 speed is an issue for unsuspecting owners which might run dex 3 when the 5 speed takes 3309 only.

i vaguely recall a sw update for the auto which solves a shifting issue, but I'm not sure if it's specific to the 5 or the 4.

we're probably splitting hairs when talking about which is more reliable. either way the auto seems to be more trouble free, if slightly less gratifying to some drivers, than the manual. ;)
I picked the Automatic for simplicity and reliability.

It also seems there are lots in the yards given the very low failure rate.

No clutch is one less thing to replace and less "hydraulics"

On the 900 it is CLEARLY the other way around.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Some of the 5 speed auto boxes have had problems with software requiring updates. There's no evidence that they are mechanically more frail than the 4 speed units.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Kermit said:
There's no evidence that they are mechanically more frail than the 4 speed units.
agreed. it's also noteworthy that the 4 speed is torque limited to 243 while the 5 speed has the full 258.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts