SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
The Achilles heel of the c900, if only somebody would make a reasonable priced death proof gearbox, the c900 could run until the cylinder bores where as lose as an old whores money pit:eek:

I really hope one day somebody makes a bolt on replacement because there is a finite supply of scarp yard boxes and all the people that can rebuild these are dying off, something to do with old age:roll:

The 9000 already has a strong box, they don't need a 1000Hp rated box, I am sure the c900 would be happy with half that rating even a solid 1/3 of that rating would be good.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd gladly pay $2000 maybe even more...for a box rated around 500hp so long as its warrantied and I dont have to supply a core.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
shaverjeff said:
I'd gladly pay $2000 maybe even more...for a box rated around 500hp so long as its warrantied and I dont have to supply a core.
You know, scanwest can set you up with a good box for less than that. Granted it's not guaranteed to 500HP but it's at least an upgrade, plus they're in the US so you don't have to worry about shipping overseas.

Call 'em.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Matthew said:
Imagine a company begins selling a strong gearbox for the 900. It'll take 400BHP all day long. A couple of serious questions:

What price would be reasonable?

How large do you think the market would be?
No and very small. I want to remind members of this forum that an uprated transmission for some jap cars range between $5k-$7k. Got to pay to play I guess. Someone needs to develop a stronger case so we can drop all of the internals into it. Gears are strong; they are heat treated with carbon gas to make them very hard. They just need proper alingment to hold up. The pinion bearings on the other hand...

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
The problem is that developing a commercial quality gearbox case like that requires an investment of money. That investment is repayed through sales. Before investing that money the developers would have to be assured of sales - it's just business sense.

Hence my question about the size of the market or even peoples' willingness to pay significant money for a properly robust gearbox.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Matthew said:
The problem is that developing a commercial quality gearbox case like that requires an investment of money. That investment is repayed through sales. Before investing that money the developers would have to be assured of sales - it's just business sense.

Hence my question about the size of the market or even peoples' willingness to pay significant money for a properly robust gearbox.
I know you were getting a sense of the market. Since we have a hard enough time for group buys (lsds) for instance, I don't if c900'ers are willing to spend the money. I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Well when my plans for world domination comes together and i succeed in getting everything I was I'll gladly give out indestructable g-boxes to whomever wants one.

On a serious note, IIRC, there was a post within the last year, either on here or saablink about a possible casting of iron cases... stronger, perhaps. Heavier, for sure.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would shell out a few grand no problem, provided it's guaranteed to last. Six speed would be a clear plus as well. There you have it, thus far, your market is about....2.

-Tyler

·
Banned
5,841 Posts
Up to £2000 max for me thats $4000 and only if it was warranted for 60,000 miles.

Why can't the casing be a simple square box shape? made of simple 316 say 8mm, there is no way in hell that is going to flex, maybe of you but some TNT in it,

It dose not have to be cast at all IMHO

This could be done by a small company with basic tooling.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Matthew said:

Exactly. Ain't ever going to happen.

When I win 80million on EuroMillions I promise I'll provide a bombproof gearbox for everyone on the forum who wants one and who joins me in this honourable pledge :D

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
^^ im with albert on this one :lol:

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
if you could make a CAD drawing of the box, inside and out, then enhance the webbing on the outside of the box (to make it more rigid) you might be able to get a machine shop to make you a case out of a single chunk of alloy - with increased case thickness and increased webbing on the outside (and, in so far as you can, the inside as well without taking up space required for the gears) - you could also specifiy more robust bearing carriers in the machined part which should enhance the stability of the shafts - it'd be far from cheap (real far) - but for low batch you MIGHT find a machine shop to do it for you for 2K (USD) or so per copy - the trick would be getting the CAD renderings spot on - so it could be use to define and describe the tool path information to the machine(s).

Of course, you could probably get the same box machined out of steel - it'd be heavy as a bugger BUT the weight is low and centralized left to right - so it might not be that bad ...

ProE, SolidWorks, CATIA or AutoCad would work for the CAD.

Just tossing a thought out there -

Steve

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Albert Trout said:
When I win 80million on EuroMillions I promise I'll provide a bombproof gearbox for everyone on the forum who wants one and who joins me in this honourable pledge :D

Got you beat ole buddy... post #9. ;)

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I was just thinking about it... my current transmission cost me $85. It's lasted since Nov 2005 dealing with a non-trivial increase in hp and tq. I've gotten pretty good at swapping transmissions, it doesn't take all that long anymore.

If I spent $4000 on a transmission like sha suggested, I could have purchased 47 of my junkyard transmissions, which at least 10 of those would have the dexterity to last at least a year in my car.

So after ten years, sure maybe I'd have been better off getting the spendy box. But even then, by that time it's 60,000 mile warranty would be up ;)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I called scanwest before I found my 4-speed they quoted me 3,000 us for an approximate hp rating of 300-350hp, no warranty and I supply the core.

In my opinion thats too much because its still just a rebuild with the same case?
...and it sounds like the casing is the weakpoint.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts