SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sis left the maplight on and i just discovered this 4 days later. the car starts fine and had a brand new battery put into it a few weeks ago, though i surmise the battery is nearly dead now. grr... last ditch question - is there any chance that the maplight shuts itself off after a period of time? neither of us noticed it was on when we left the car at night 4 days ago. but if the battery is on its last legs, it can be easily charged, right? such luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,774 Posts
I don't believe that the map light is on a timer but a a battery swap is easy peasy. One nut holding the bracket in place that you can get at with a socket extention and the rest is pulling the leads off and putting them back on once the new battery is in.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have one of those car starter/jump start chargers that you plug into the cigarette lighter. would that be sufficient or would i have to replace the whole battery again?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
If you got a brand new battery a few weeks ago It should charge up to full strength with the alternator while the engine is running.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
blixahaha said:
i have one of those car starter/jump start chargers that you plug into the cigarette lighter.
I have never used one of those but it sounds like a bad idea to push so many amps through those tiny wires. :confused: Does it actually work for jump starting or can it only be used for a trickle charge?
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the item (black & decker simple start battery booster/car starter - http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100496549) bills itself as a car booster, but it's really a charger. i haven't used it yet, but i read that it takes 20-30 minutes to work b/c it feeds power gradually into the battery and i think when it's done, the battery is charged, not just started so the alternator can charge it.

there are real self-boosters on the market where you have to go under the hood to use them. they take only about 30 secs to work their magic. either item seems like a good idea to me, b/c you never know when you'll be in a parking lot in the middle of nowhere at night and the car won't start. or if your sister leaves the maplight on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
blixahaha said:
sis left the maplight on and i just discovered this 4 days later. the car starts fine and had a brand new battery put into it a few weeks ago, though i surmise the battery is nearly dead now. grr... last ditch question - is there any chance that the maplight shuts itself off after a period of time? neither of us noticed it was on when we left the car at night 4 days ago. but if the battery is on its last legs, it can be easily charged, right? such luck!
What exactly is your problem? You have a new battery and the car starts fine, but you still think that the battery is nearly dead? Why? Because you've left the map light on? So maybe the battery is not nearly dead if the car starts fine, or what do you think?

(And BTW, the interior lightning, including the map light, goes automatically off after 20 minutes when ignition is off. And this information can also be found from the owner's manual.)

(BTW2, in case you didn't know, the car charges the battery everytime you drive the car.)
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope you made your sister push the car for a quarter mile or so. I am sure she won't forget to turn the light off ever again. :D
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ballantine said:
What exactly is your problem? You have a new battery and the car starts fine, but you still think that the battery is nearly dead? Why? Because you've left the map light on? So maybe the battery is not nearly dead if the car starts fine, or what do you think?

(And BTW, the interior lightning, including the map light, goes automatically off after 20 minutes when ignition is off. And this information can also be found from the owner's manual.)

(BTW2, in case you didn't know, the car charges the battery everytime you drive the car.)
lol don't get your panties in a bunch, i got my answer.

thank you everyone for your help!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top