SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking about doing the MapTun stage III software for my car and an exhaust. Does anyone have the MapTun software or know anything about their products? Thanks...

·
Registered
26 Posts
ASCsweed said:
Was thinking about doing the MapTun stage III software for my car and an exhaust. Does anyone have the MapTun software or know anything about their products? Thanks...
Hi!

I have Maptun "stage III+" kit in my car. It's the best software I have had in my car and I've tried BSR and Speedparts before Maptun.

With Maptun it's possible to adjust parametres of the software according to one's specifications. Every detail in the software can be adjusted to one's need, for example reduce boost peeks or more peeks (more like a overboost), boost limitations on lower gears, speed limit etc. etc.

In my opinion nothing comes even close to Maptun if we're talking about the modifying the software according to one's specification. Well, okay, SQR is also very good at doing the same thing. I think that those two are the best in business of making tuning software to Saabs.

Of course Hirsch is the "official" tuner of Saab and I assume they're pretty good (never tried them), but I think they cannot provide a modified software for you.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Turbo Sensonic said:
Of course Hirsch is the "official" tuner of Saab and I assume they're pretty good (never tried them), but I think they cannot provide a modified software for you.
Hirsch can do that, I know of a 9-3 Viggen owner with a custom tuned ECU done by Hirsch.
But it's not convienent as you have to take the car to Switzerland to be set up on the Hirsch dyno.......:cool:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I agree with what the two above mentioned about maptun. The biggest difference for you and me really is that we are stateside. I have heard that maptun can take a very long time with shipping and whatnot. And the fact that there is no U.S. distributer can make things sticky if there is a problem with your software. I would most definatly buy a spare ecu for them to tune in case there is a problem with yours after they tune it. This has happeded to people before and it means not having a car to drive for a few months.

So given this info, I like Nordic. Nordic is sold my Nick Taliaferro (genuinesaab.com) and he has some of the best customer service around. Second place to me is SQR. They were sold by jak stoll (jakstollperformance.com) but I'm not sure if he still deals with em.

·
Registered
26 Posts
aeropilot said:
Hirsch can do that, I know of a 9-3 Viggen owner with a custom tuned ECU done by Hirsch.
aeropilot said:
But it's not convienent as you have to take the car to Switzerland to be set up on the Hirsch dyno.......

Yes, I know they can do it, but not "officially" ;)

I've never seen an ad (in their website), where Hirsch would tell that it's possible.

If you'd ask Maptun to tweak the software according to your specifications, no problem, but if you'd ask the same question from Hirsch, probably they wouldn't do it for everyone (only for certain persons).

Usually those modified softwares are done just by tweaking the standard software by changing some parametres without having to dyno the car. I don't know whether Hirsch, Abbott etc. would do it without any extracost, but Maptun does that. It's called "Maptun Individual".

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
You're right that they usually do those tweeks without having the ecu in the car. So they aren't always for large gains, but they can be sure that the ecu fits your hardware mods. And yes, Maptun, Nordic and SQR all do this.

Another option to throw in there is that frank strolquist (?) is coming to Boston in August. He is an SQR tuner. This way he does match up the ecu specifically for your car. I'm not sure of the exact process, but I know he drives your car to make sure the ecu is properly set-up. I am looking into this option because you bring him your ecu or a spare and in an hour or so you have it all set-up. So if you're not planning on buying a spare, this is the least amount of downtime you can have.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
An hour of downtime for an ECU? That is by far the least possible time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
stromer said:
Another option to throw in there is that frank strolquist (?) is coming to Boston in August. He is an SQR tuner. This way he does match up the ecu specifically for your car. I'm not sure of the exact process, but I know he drives your car to make sure the ecu is properly set-up. I am looking into this option because you bring him your ecu or a spare and in an hour or so you have it all set-up. So if you're not planning on buying a spare, this is the least amount of downtime you can have.
He's called Frank Strömqvist and he runs SQR a.k.a. Strömqvist Racing. That guy's a "wizard". I think that there are two guys who "rule" what comes to making a decent tuning software to Saabs. One is Fredrik Bengtsson from Maptun and the other one is Frank Strömqvist from SQR.

I've never tried SQR, but I've heard a lot of good things about that company.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I was almost close on the spelling of his name... :roll:

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
my maptun SW is amazing and it is only stage 1 for an automatic car.

go on saablink or saabnet and read up about SQR if you think maptun has slow shipping times. :roll: :lol: anything coming from Sweden will not be overnight.

also SQR and BSR and others have had plenty of mistakes where SW does not work correct the first time. so don't go picking on maptun. :nono;

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
abdukted1456 said:
also SQR and BSR and others have had plenty of mistakes where SW does not work correct the first time. so don't go picking on maptun. :nono;
I've just heard a few specific instances where there were problems with maptun. Yes there will be a potential risk for problems with any company. I don't mean to pick on maptun.

·
Registered
26 Posts
abdukted1456 said:
For most cases the problem lies in the immobilizer of Trionic. If the immobilizer is switched on in the Trionic box or the box number is coded incorrectly into the software of tuned Trionic box, the engine won't start.

I happened to me with BSR software as it did with Speedparts software but Maptun worked right from the start.

The reason why SQR might be a little slower to ship the products than Maptun is that SQR has a smaller organization. That's why it might take some time to get the goods. But nevertheless, whether it's Maptun's or SQR's software, it's worth waiting, isn't it?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Turbo Sensonic said:
For most cases the problem lies in the immobilizer of Trionic. If the immobilizer is switched on in the Trionic box or the box number is coded incorrectly into the software of tuned Trionic box, the engine won't start.
If I remember correctly this doesn't apply to all of our cars.

·
Registered
26 Posts
stromer said:
If I remember correctly this doesn't apply to all of our cars.
No. The immobilizer problem applies only to some Trionic 5 cars which don't have factory assembled thief alarm.

The wrong code in the tuning box (Trionic) applies usually to Trionic 7 cars, since Trionic 5 boxes without the immobilizer can be quite interchangeable with each others.

For example my car's (ym. 1997) Trionic tuning box works in NG900 ym. 8.1996->3.1998 and 9-3 ym. 1998->1999 since the immobilizer is disabled.

Unfortunately 9-3 Trionic 5 boxes don't work with NG900.

·
Registered
543 Posts
On a slightly different note, but same topic. The speedparts ECU upgrade stage 1 and 2 is exactly the same. The stage 3 is remapped slightly differently to produce more torque. Only the hardware is different between the stage 1 and 2.

This might be the case for other ECU's but not sure....:roll:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Most other tuning companies have a slightly different remap for every stage. For example when you add a downpipe, they change the tuning to make the best use of it. This will net a larger gain then just adding it on its own. This is why software is often times the last step for a project.

·
Registered
26 Posts
petrolhead said:
The speedparts ECU upgrade stage 1 and 2 is exactly the same. The stage 3 is remapped slightly differently to produce more torque. Only the hardware is different between the stage 1 and 2.

This might be the case for other ECU's but not sure....:roll:
Yes, that's true. And this usually applies to almost every tuning company who has stage 1 and 2 in their repertoire. Stage 2 means that you have a tuned Trionic box, freeflow airfilter and bigger exhaust system from cat to back. Bigger downpipe comes with stage 3.

And Speedparts buys almost all of their software stuff from BSR. So if you're buying Speedparts stage 1-3, you'll get BSR's software. Very few of Speedparts' software stuff is coming from SQR, but mainly from BSR.

And you cannot purchase "modified" software from Speedparts or BSR. The software (whether it's stage 1, 2 or 3) is always "the standard" software without any chance to add your own specifications to it. It may work properly until stage 3, but if you add something more to your car, for example a bigger intercooler, then you need a software which is mapped for it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Turbo Sensonic said:
Yes, that's true. And this usually applies to almost every tuning company who has stage 1 and 2 in their repertoire. Stage 2 means that you have a tuned Trionic box, freeflow airfilter and bigger exhaust system from cat to back. Bigger downpipe comes with stage 3.

And Speedparts buys almost all of their software stuff from BSR. So if you're buying Speedparts stage 1-3, you'll get BSR's software. Very few of Speedparts' software stuff is coming from SQR, but mainly from BSR.

And you cannot purchase "modified" software from Speedparts or BSR. The software (whether it's stage 1, 2 or 3) is always "the standard" software without any chance to add your own specifications to it. It may work properly until stage 3, but if you add something more to your car, for example a bigger intercooler, then you need a software which is mapped for it.
Thanks, good info.
Best to go the Ricot route - add hardware and leave the ecu til last then.
Will manage with my MBC+A until all my future hardware is added, then go for a tuner that can modify the ECU to fully take advantage of all the hardware.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
abdukted1456 said:
my maptun SW is amazing and it is only stage 1 for an automatic car.

go on saablink or saabnet and read up about SQR if you think maptun has slow shipping times. :roll: :lol: anything coming from Sweden will not be overnight.

I agree....Maptun SW is great, based on what I've heard here and on other boards. They were definitely my second choice, and a very close second at that, with Nordic running just behind. The ability to send Maptun your car's specs and have nearly a custom tune was a big draw, especially if you have non-standard components like a bigger turbo or intercooler not accounted for in the generic stage software.

As one of the folks who had initial problems with the SQR software, I can tell you that the story is way more complex than the Stage 4 box just not working for me. (Other people who got theirs around the same time I received mine have had no problems at all.)

I'm much happier now that I know what's going on...and I'm getting tuned by Frank Stromqvist in August when he comes stateside for the Saab Owner's Convention, and I hope to have the car ready for some track dates in mid-September

Jak Stoll, who I initially dealt with, is a nice guy. He's no longer affiliated with SQR. Frank's software is distributed in the states by Paul Kalinoski at Automotion (978-667-5373)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts