SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the event of hydraulic cylinder failure, can the convertible top reliably be opened and closed using the manual procedure?

For example, until I'm able to send my cylinder off to get the seals replaced, will I be able to operate the top manually without issue?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's wrong with it?! That's the purpose of such a design.
The main cylinder (left side) is blown. I cannot use the auto switch to raise/lower the top. It says "Manual operation only. See SAAB dealer".

So, my question is whether the manual operation procedure is designed to be used only in emergency, or can I use it as much as I want while my cylinder is out being serviced. I don't want to risk further damage to the top mechanism. However, if the manual procedure is benign to the system, I'd like to enjoy the incredible weather we are having here currently with some top down motoring.

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
The main cylinder (left side) is blown. I cannot use the auto switch to raise/lower the top. It says "Manual operation only. See SAAB dealer".

So, my question is whether the manual operation procedure is designed to be used only in emergency, or can I use it as much as I want while my cylinder is out being serviced. I don't want to risk further damage to the top mechanism. However, if the manual procedure is benign to the system, I'd like to enjoy the incredible weather we are having here currently with some top down motoring.
I'm sure it won't hurt the car, but what a PITA. Doing that every time is a nightmare.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not harmless if you have to pry the soft top cover open!

Yesterday I decided to give it a go at lowering the top manually. Everything worked fine until I got to the soft top cover. I stalled at that point. I could not get it to budge.

The pushrods inside the trunk were NO help at all. I pushed them so hard they both came off their clips and fell into my hands.

I resorted to trying to pull the top up by using the antenna for leverage. That pulled the right side free, about an inch. However, the left side appears to be locked into place. I had nothing to use on the left side to try and pry it loose. I suppose I could use a prybar (with a cloth to prevent chipping paint) but I wanted to check here first for ideas. I don't want to damage the car.

Any tips on alternate ways of raising the soft top when the pushrods are of no use?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I think at that point I'd just wait until you get it fixed. There are still other cylinders in the system and I am not sure repeatedly forcing them could be too great for them....

Sean

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not harmless if you have to pry the soft top cover open!

Yesterday I decided to give it a go at lowering the top manually. Everything worked fine until I got to the soft top cover. I stalled at that point. I could not get it to budge.

The pushrods inside the trunk were NO help at all. I pushed them so hard they both came off their clips and fell into my hands.

I resorted to trying to pull the top up by using the antenna for leverage. That pulled the right side free, about an inch. However, the left side appears to be locked into place. I had nothing to use on the left side to try and pry it loose. I suppose I could use a prybar (with a cloth to prevent chipping paint) but I wanted to check here first for ideas. I don't want to damage the car.

Any tips on alternate ways of raising the soft top when the pushrods are of no use?
Hey, I just had the same thing happen to me today. The pushrods just fell off. I didn't try to pry the top open, I am waiting to find out more. Do you have any other information since 2014??? How did you get the push rods back into their place?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts