SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, drive a BSR Stage 1 93SS 2.0t Sentronic :cheesy:

was wondering whether anyone had any experinece in manually adjusting the wastegate to maintain postitive boost.

i think a lot of the subaru guys play around with this.

I know the T8 controls it electronically via the wastegate solenoid but i also realise that it bleeds pretty much a lot of it out even in Stage 1 low gears or should i say especially in stage 1.

The car seems to be more perky in the lower gears without the upgrade .
Dont get me wrong, in a straight sprint, the PPC is definetely faster but it just doesnt seem that perky or responsive at speeds below 70kmh any longer.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
The actual pressure desired by the ECM is what governs wastegate control. You can lengthen or shorten the effective rod length, but T8 will just adjust the duty cycle of the boost control solenoid to compensate.

Actually it's a combination of pressure, temperature, and especially air mass that go into the charge air calculation. But you get the picture. Whatever the ECM calls for, it finds a way to get.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ctrlz said:
The actual pressure desired by the ECM is what governs wastegate control. You can lengthen or shorten the effective rod length, but T8 will just adjust the duty cycle of the boost control solenoid to compensate.

Actually it's a combination of pressure, temperature, and especially air mass that go into the charge air calculation. But you get the picture. Whatever the ECM calls for, it finds a way to get.
so its a losing battle that we are fighting against the ECM .... :roll:

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
EarthDweller said:
so it's a losing battle that we are fighting against the ECM .... :roll:
Depends how you look at it.

Most people here are thrilled with their ECM upgrades like the BSR PPC. It runs ~$800 for 37 HP over stock. That dollar/horsepower figure is hard to beat, and you don't have to get dirty!

OTOH, you can't really take a wrench to the motor without changing the ECM program. You can do anything in front of the MAP sensor (intake) or behind the post-converter O2 sensor (tail pipe). Everything in between requires satisfying Trionic 8.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts