SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace my passenger side axle seal on my 2002 93se (manual transmisson) and i was wondering if the snap rings for the intermidiate shaft are simply for holding the bearing in? My design is a soild axle not two part, so theres no access to the back snap ring on the right hand side,only the one behind the dust shield. So can i just take a slide hammer or something similar and just bang the intermidiate axle out of the bearing? Also my lower alternator bolt is stripped so i cant just take the bracket off the motor and pull it out quite yet, if i mess with taking the control arms off maybe lower the subframe a little, could i take the bracket with the alternator and intermidiate axle all out in one go? I was thinking that way i can extract the bolt on the bench. The other option which ive done before is just air chisel the bracket apart to get to the bolt and buy a new bracket... Let me know what you guys think is the best option! Thanks

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
One of the snap rings keeps the bearing in the bracket, and the other snap ring keeps the intermediate shaft on the bearing. If you took off both snap rings, and could get a good purchase on something (inner companion flange?) with a slide hammer, you could potentially get either the intermediate shaft or the intermediate shaft and the bearing to come out of the bracket. When I replaced the bearing on a couple of my cars, it didn't take an obscene amount of force to get the shaft out of the bearing. A few taps with a small sledge hammer did the trick. I'd be more concerned with getting it all assembled again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very true and thanks very much for the info. Am i correct in assuming the snap ring on the easily accessible side holds the inner driver onto the bearing? There doesnt seem to be room on the other side to access the snapring unless maybe with some 90 degree tips on the snap ring pliers? After that in theory with the slide hammer or similar i could pursuade it out? What im asking i suppose is if its neccesary to remove both snap rings. I also am concerned about the lower alternator bolt. Itd be much easier to just unbolt it from the motor and swing the alternator out of the way, this also is great for when i need to change the alternator in the future. My local mechanic is going to look at it tomorrow to see if he can extract it but if he fails what are my other options? Just air chiseling the bracket out? In theory if i take the top alternator bolt out and take the wires off i can take it all out at once, im just concerned about room. Im sure i could get it out but with how much work does it become not worth it?( maybe have to remove control arm, stanchion arm im not sure) Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
I can't remember which snap ring is on which side, but if you can pull the dust shield out, it should be pretty obvious. One snap ring snaps into the bracket, and the other snaps around the intermediate shaft. From the looks of the parts diagram, I think the snap ring that holds the bearing into the bracket is on the more easily accessible side, towards the outside of the car. I'd recommend taking both snap rings off. If it goes in the way I think it does, and you only take off the snap ring that goes on the outside of the intermediate shaft, there's a small possibility that you could pull the bearing apart instead of pulling the shaft out of the bearing. It's not a cheap bearing, at about $40. Extracting the bolt is by far the easiest and less destructive method, and I'd hope that a mechanic would have the tools to do it. I just don't think that there's nearly enough room in there to get the bearing out, and safely drive it and the intermediate shaft back into place, with the bracket in the car and the alternator bolted in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No worries about the bearing i have a new one ready for install(the old one is by no means perfect) Definitely sounds like im just relying on the mechanic to be able to extract the bolt and remove the whole axle/ carrier assembly from the car. Like you said i would not envy putting it all back together underneath the car let alone getting it apart. Even putting the inner driver back through the bearing OFF the car sounds like it could be a workout. Thanks ron, worst case i will pull out the air chisel but i hate being so destructive, the bracket is 100! Part too i cant seem to even find one on goldwing saab

1 - 5 of 5 Posts