SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, for the past two weeks I have been converting my 1990 saab 9000 turbo from an automatic to a manual. The manual transmission is from a 1988 9000 turbo. I have been driving it for 2 days now and its a million times better than an automatic. Its soo much fun that when im bored I just go driving somewhere for no reason lol. I wanted to know from any of you knowlegable people on here how strong the saab manual transmissions are. What are the weakpoints I have to watch out for, and how can i get the most performance out of the manual transmission (like double clutching etc..) Thankyou in advance for all of your responses.

Tommy

·
Registered
98 Posts
Congrats on the conversion. Glad to hear it was successful.
The transmissions in the 9000 are pretty decent transmissions.
I've been told they can take alot of abuse.
My transmission still holds in every gear fine and im at 153K in my 9000.
You definately will be pleased with the power they can hold.
To my knowledge the newer 9000's (94-98) have superior syncros and a reverse syncro, but our trannys are still pretty tough saab tranny's(compared to c900's & older NG900's)
Btw was it a expensive and tough job?
Im assuming it cost you a pretty penny to do?
Good luck with the new tranny.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx, the job was actually extremely cheep. I found an old manual 9000 for sale with a broken break system master sylinder but everything else worked perfectly, so it only cost me $500. The guy who sold me this car also had a haynes manual so I used that and did the entire conversion myself (100% free of charge:lol: ) It was quite a bit of work I think, probably because I have never done work on a car even close to this extreme, but it is definitly doable. In total from start to finish it took me about a week and a half of hard work.

Tommy

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
nice job but one thing that is often over looked when doing this is that the rear engine mount (the one that has the drive shaft fixed to it) is differant on the autos so need to be changed if its not changed it all goes together but after some time the splines on the intermediate shaft go and all drive is lost

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Good work.

Comment on prolonging the life of your 9k gearbox; don't regularly downshift thru the gears approaching a stop, and yes, double clutching will do good things fro trans. life, especially hard downshifts/upshifts in 2nd and especially 3rd.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thx for the reply's. To answer boxman, I did realize this and changed the driveshaft with the longer one from a manual 9000.

·
Registered
56 Posts
KevinC said:
Good work.

Comment on prolonging the life of your 9k gearbox; don't regularly downshift thru the gears approaching a stop, and yes, double clutching will do good things fro trans. life, especially hard downshifts/upshifts in 2nd and especially 3rd.
For what reason should he double clutch the upshift? its not a 18 wheeler lol. Synchros are your friend, rather than double clutching be concerned with rev-matching when downshifting. Just clutch in and kick up the revs to where they should be in the lower gear and clutch out. Ive been driving like this with mine and it has over 140k miles on it now (very hard miles, also including lots of race/track time)

·
Banned
637 Posts
Bearings are infamously weak in the Saab Boxes. ALL of them.
The Input shaft ones are notorious for dying early/unexpectedly.. but then so are the Diff Carrier ones.
IF you start hearing trans noises.. Stop driving it.. that same day..
The bearings when they die, start flaking bits of case hardening into the box. not good.
Also be V carefull going into Reverse.. Unbelievable numbers of Saab boxes have required rebuild due to Rev Gear loosing a few teeth.. and No the Synchro equipped later versions are not exempt from this.. they adtually suffer more.

·
Registered
100 Posts
so how hard is it to replace the bearings in the tranmission of an 87 saab 9000t, ive blown my second tranny now and im goin back to my old one the only thing that was wrong with it was the second gear synco was out and it might nead an input shaft bearing but if im going to do that i might as well replace them all, is there a replacement aftermarket syncro that is better than the stock or any other updated parts you canm replace in the transmission?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts