SaabCentral Forums banner

Manual Transmission Number - Decipher?

355 16
Hello! This 1992 900S convertible is fairly new to me, and I am happily sorting things out! It is clearly a 5 M/T but I learned the VIN says it was 3-A/T per the VIN. YS3AK76E1N7xxxxxx (7 = 2-door Convertible (CV); 6 = 3-speed Automatic; E = Fuel Injection, B212 (2.1 liter 16v)). Here is the number on the manual transmission. Does the "06" mean is was manufactured in 2006, therefore could only have been installed/converted in 2006 or later? I am trying to pin down the age of the transformation, and learn how many miles are possibly on it. thx for any guidance!

G 457 06

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Auto part
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info! I was hoping of course I would hear it was a 'newer' transmission added to the car. How is the model/number read to see that it is from early '80s? I'm interested in learning details like this.

I guess the positive thoughts I have on this is that the transmission transformation hopefully included finding a quality donor MT, and that good care was taken to refurbish everything during the installation! That is what I going with!

Again, thank you for your ongoing help!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The FSM has the key to decoding the G or GM number... should be in the stickies in the c900 forum. In this case, the fact that it's a G and not a GM means pre '86, so that's small drivers/pinion/synchros. Of course, 30 years later, it's impossible to know what parts may have been swapped or changed or replaced, but in my experience when it comes to c900 transmissions most people just find one that works and put it in.
do you have a direct link to this content by chance?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts