SaabCentral Forums banner

Manual Transmission Number - Decipher?

207 14
Hello! This 1992 900S convertible is fairly new to me, and I am happily sorting things out! It is clearly a 5 M/T but I learned the VIN says it was 3-A/T per the VIN. YS3AK76E1N7xxxxxx (7 = 2-door Convertible (CV); 6 = 3-speed Automatic; E = Fuel Injection, B212 (2.1 liter 16v)). Here is the number on the manual transmission. Does the "06" mean is was manufactured in 2006, therefore could only have been installed/converted in 2006 or later? I am trying to pin down the age of the transformation, and learn how many miles are possibly on it. thx for any guidance!

G 457 06

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Auto part
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
I bought its brother earlier this fall, exact same number, and my car started life as an auto also.
One thing I've found, the earlier trans cases are less likely to be cracked around the oil drain, the later case alloy was stiffer but more likely to get cracked from over torqued drain.
Guy I bought mine from had 3 or more trans, all the later model trans had cracked drains, and the one I bought G45706, the drain was fine.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I am always worried when trying to get a plug/bolt out. I am not worried about tightening, that I have control over. Even with care application of heat, it doesn't take much to crack cast when trying to loosen.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I agree, it is never a problem once I get them out the 1st time, it is "johnny overtorque" who has been there before me that I worried about. I've never had a plug back out, but if I was worried about it, I would do like they do on aircraft and drill the head and safetywire it.
While your fix does solve the problem, it also lowers the drain a bit making it a little more susceptible to a hit, damned if you do, damned if you don't.
I installed the 1/4 turn FOMOTO valves on my trucks to keep those "pit pros" from cracking the sump on my diesels. They all drained from the side, so didn't stick down.
The one on my "new" transmission had be hit and rounded off a bit, Got a new one to replace it. No sense fighting with the old one.
Trans drain was also in tight, but got it out as well.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Service manual in the sticky's at the top of the forum. Some of the links no longer work, but if you try them all you'll find the ones that work.
My car had 1985 ML drivetrain dropped in, it has a the correct GM45608 trans under it. SO GM started at least in 1985, it may indicate large inner drivers.
It really doesn't matter, parts for these 30+ year old cars are getting hard to find, so you find what is good and use it, rather than look for the latest and greatest, or at least I do.
My G45706 will be going in this winter. If I can find the parts to fix the GM45608 I will, but a useable car is more important than driver size or internal centering at least to me. (to be clear, I am not saying the GM45608 has internal centering, just I wouldn't pass on a good older model looking for the last model put in the 900's)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts