SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my 2004 9-3 Aero with 64k miles to the dealer becuase the car was sounding louder as if there was something wrong with the exhast system and they called me today saying it may need a new manual transmission? It shifts perfectly fine and I can't understand where they are coming from. They changed the fluid and it seems to be running better, yet the gas treatment I put in the car last night may be working now. Any thoughts?

PS: It also makes a lot of ticking noises when pulling out of parking spaces:confused:

·
Registered
497 Posts
I doubt you need a whole new transmission. They just don't want to tear it apart to find the real problem. Although it sounds more like a cv joint or a wheel hub (bearing), if it's ticking when turning the wheel. If the noise is just when it's turning, probably a cv joint. Wheel hub (bearing) will make noise constantly just going down the road.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Agree, CV joint sounds more likely.
Don't recall ANY outright failures of manual tranny being reported here.

Why did you use a gas treatment? Personally, I'm of the opinion these do more to lighten your wallet than "treat" your fuel.

·
Banned
631 Posts
its really hard to f-up a mannually transmission. Unless you dont know how to drive and like to grind gears a lot.

But this is another act of the "dealership horror"

I swear they must have apes running the show there.

Ide take it to a mechanic for a second opinion. rather then the dealer IMO

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you can see the cv joint boots from underneath the car check them for visual tears and/or grease that has leaked out.

Without the grease-filled boots to protect them the joints will go bad and make that clicking sound.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts