SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I have an '05 Linear 5spd and I have had it about a month and i've got almost 4000 miles on it ( I drive a lot for work... =( ) Anyway, I am getting much better at driving manual (this is my 1st one) but my question is, in my complex their are about 8 speed bumps that I have to go over and I usually cruise over the whole copmlex in 2nd gear, going down to about 7-10mph depending on the speed bump...Is this bad for 2nd gear? Should I be downshifting to 1st? Sometimes when I'm closer to 7mph you can feel the car start to "push" when I gas it to get back up to speed until the next speed bump, I just want to make sure i'm not hurting the car by doing this!
Another question...any Saabers in Gainesville, Fl?!?! I haven't seen one out here!!!

Thanks,
Leor

·
Registered
635 Posts
most people don't suggest downshifting into first

but at 7mph, thats definately near stall in 2nd gear....anything below 10, i go back into 1st. Above 10, i just just disengage, rev up, engage and give gas (in 2nd) so you get going and dont stall

·
Registered
286 Posts
What would do is, when you approach the bump, shift into neutral(you dont need to but i feel it goes over more smoothly), let it go over the bump itself. Then shift to 1st or 2nd, depending on your rpm. Never, ever have your foot on the brake on a bump, it will at least double the bump's impact.

·
Registered
146 Posts
hey im in gainesville!

im goina try and post this elsewhere but im doing a Saab run this saturday, where meeting at Brasington Saab 2001 NW 13th st and just going to drive around on some of the back counrty roads for a while id be great if you could make it.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
3 people, three answers.

I would brake as you approach the bump, if you feel the car starting to stall, dip the clutch. Then as you come off the bump give it a little gas and re-engage the clutch, you may need to slip it a bit but that would be how I would drive it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
keeping it in second stresses the engine when you try to rev back up again. but then again dropping it into first is usually a stress as well. id say put it into neutral going over the bump, slow down to about nothing, pop it back into first then head on your way. sounds like you have a lot of those bumps, no need to keep revving up and putting it back into second...

·
Registered
130 Posts
i mean in this situation, its repetative speed bumps, dont want to speed up. just keep slow. i understand what you are saying, being and out of gear is a pain the *** though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
in my honest opinion, SMHarman vbmenu_register("postmenu_758830", true); is the closest to the correct answer. i NEVER put the car into first while im moving unless i am going up a very steep hill with a very slow car infront of me and its a must. as for the speedbumps, slow down with your brakes as much as you need for comfort to get over the bump. as for shifting, leave it in second gear and when you feel as if it is stressing your engine just push down the clutch and if you need more speed, slowly re-engage second geer by slowly (emphasis on slowly) letting the clutch back in and you should have no problems whatsoever

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
What size are these speed bumps, they should be designed so you can go along the road at the speed limit? Not slow to a stop each time!

·
Registered
130 Posts
what speed bumps are around you? everyone of them around me in jersey are huge *** things that if i went over them at the speed limit id lose my oil pan!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
roose00 said:
especially if you are below 10, at 7mph, shouldnt be a problem, first gear you wont even need any gas. im with sweet.
I agree. I prefer to leave it in first than be riding the clutch. That's just me though. Still have a nervous tick from the driving instructor in the military punching me in the arm if I rode the clutch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts