SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't gotten my service manual yet for a recently purchased 900 SE Turbo (1995), so can here someone please describe ( or point me at a thread that describes ) the procedure for checking the manual trans oil level or even the whole process of draining/refilling the trans?

Any special tools needed?

My searches in this forum haven't turned up a simple answer, but I'm very willing to blame this on my poor browsing/searching skills. :confused:

Thanks in advance,

BusterTurbo.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link, but I'm afraid you underestimated my stupidity.

I can't even find the drain plug, or a check plug, or a fill plug. Where are these items located in this cramped and congested engine bay?

Thanks again . . .

Edit . . .

Sorry. Your new/updated like is what I needed.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
The plugs have a socket for an 8-mm allen wrench or hex bit. They are all a little hard to get to.

The fill plug should be loosened first, in case you can't get it out easily, you don't want to be sitting there with the transmission drained of oil.

Most people have to remove the wheel to get to the level plug, and use a long extension (like 20-inches), with an 8-mm hex bit in a socket to get to it.

The drain plug is very close to one of the front subframe members. A socketed bit and normal ratchet will not fit. A normal size allen wrench looks like it will just fit, but a "stubby" allen wrench works much better, especially if you slip something over the long end to use as a handle (like an 8-mm deep socket).

The plugs are all identical, but the drain plug has a magnet to catch wear metal etc.

If you are draining the oil, it is a good idea to measure the volume of what you drain out, that tells you if the transmission is leaking at the seal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts