SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 cs that one day the trans decided to start leaking the oil out of it pretty bad. It leaks out of the bottom of the bellhousing and has been basically "spraying" out of the hole in the top where you see down to the slave. It drains almost all of it out in a days time. So without thinking I bought a 93 cse thinking the motor and trans are the same but the motor wont work since it has a different cps then my cs so I cant swap motor/tranny. Question is would the trans still mount to my block? Or did I just screw myself?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, what would cause that massive leak? The seal that is behind the slave? Can I just replace the seal? Or do I have to replace the slave as a whole?

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Input shaft seal is gone if transmission oil is leaking there. Nothing to do with the slave cylinder but you might as well do the whole clutch while you're in there.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Yes entirely separate and different seal.
Fairly simple to replace.. were it not for the efforts/parts involved in getting to it. But it doesn't fail without collateral reason/damage either.. expect yet more repairs, ie; input shaft bearing(s) once in there.
Particularly interesting is that you claim the oil pisses out. Not a usual condition as the oil level is normally below that shaft.
And even so it would take positive pressure in the trans to force oil out. Failed seals normally weep, not piss. Unless torn apart ?
Perhaps something has come adrift (circlip?) and one of the trans shafts has chewed it's way thru the casting ??

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes entirely separate and different seal.
Fairly simple to replace.. were it not for the efforts/parts involved in getting to it. But it doesn't fail without collateral reason/damage either.. expect yet more repairs, ie; input shaft bearing(s) once in there.
Particularly interesting is that you claim the oil pisses out. Not a usual condition as the oil level is normally below that shaft.
And even so it would take positive pressure in the trans to force oil out. Failed seals normally weep, not piss. Unless torn apart ?
Perhaps something has come adrift (circlip?) and one of the trans shafts has chewed it's way thru the casting ??
Well it only does it while driving... when I first discovered that there was a leak it was basically draining the excess that was thrown around after driving. So what I did was jacked up the front end and put the car in fifth and throttled it to 65 mph and held it there for a min. Looked underneath and saw the oil coming out. From my knowledge this trans doesnt even have a breather on it so from the gears splashing its causing "pressure" in the trans. So it's gonna leak from any given weak point. I'm going to be pulling this transmission today and inspecting it to see what the problem would be. My problem is there are no wrecking yards that have 9000's that are 94 and up. How difficult is it to replace the input seal and bearing?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Ok.. Some sense in your observations. Use doesn't pressurise it normally.
Not worth arguing about tho.
Trans needs come out of the car and be disassembled, at least partially to access the Input shaft front bearing.. at least. Some specific tools Or clever ingenuity required.
Best of my knowledge '94 saw the GM across the product line 'rationalisations'.. ie All similar parts were made interchangeable, from that point onwards
The trans to engine bolt spacings pattern was changed.
It's not that big a deal to swap your existing (fitting) bellhousing onto the non fitting wrecker trans box. Easier than replacing an input shaft bearing :)
Best check, hunt up info on the gear ratios for the two Boxes you have, to be sure that there are no problematic ratio weirdnesses.
Gearbox serial / model numbers should get you that info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts