SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay today I went to the dealer to pick up some manual transmission oil.
long story short.

I start with trying to crack the check plug. Oh yes. but of course. Being its first initial fluid change this thing is has been overtightened.

I ended up rounding the hex plug. So I try my Easy outs (extractors) oh then again its on really good. so then I added a bit of heat using a butane torch to try expanding the area around the nut. nothing. this thing isnt coming out at all.

So this is where im stuck. Any ideas on getting a stubborn, now stripped check plug, out of my transmission. im going to fight with it Monday when im at work.(since my toolbox/tools) are there.

But just wondering for any tips / ideas what I can do in this scenario.

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes i stated above. I tried using an extractor. it wouldnt budge at all.

I might have to heat it up quite a bit before removing. I was hoping for a easier way.
They do make the check / drain plugs on these transmissions in a bad spot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey michaLcoughliN
I had the same problem with my engine cover, i stripped all 3 screws, and the extract did not work.
what you have to do is drill a hole in the center of the stripped screw then follow up with the Drill bit extrctor.
once the hole is drilled you put in the extractor bit (you will have to hammer it in alittle) then use a tap wrench to twist it out
works like magic

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
this is a hex insert bolt. I just picked one up today from the dealer $40!!!

Stupid design. So the problem is that its rounded. No need for drilling since the hole is already created.
I will need to add heat around the area of the plug, causing it to expand and once getting it hot enough, using the extractor will be easier.

I will let you know how it goes, just in case someone else runs into the same problem :)

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So this morning.. Fixed.

I was able to get the check/fill plug out of my manual transmission.

I used my easy out bit, tapped it in with a hammer gently. Put a 1/2 6" extension on it. And a big 1/2 wratches. long and behold. Getting into a good position for leverage.

Crack. I got the plug to move. took off my wratched / extension, and took out the plug. Happier then a pig in sh*t i got this. I was so scared at first that the owner before me "fuc*d it up but I got er done.

Now i replaced the plug tightened to my expectations.

Now. I was wondering how do you guys get at the drain plug. I wasn't going to fight with that this morning.

I see the drain plug on the transmission but my #8hex bit cant fit in there.

Are you guys using allen keys? or how are you guys able to get at the drain plug since suspension parts in the way.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have never rounded a bolt of that design in my 10 years of working with everything from snowmobile, jet skis, motorcycles, cars. I simply didnt know it was possible if you use the right size head.

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well whoever owned it before me had it on quite tight. And being in Truck and Coach / Heavy equipment. Yes it does happen. I fix trucks everyday and **** like this happens. I guess you've only worked on small equipment.. ? Thanks for coming out.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
dsanders16 said:
I have never rounded a bolt of that design in my 10 years of working with everything from snowmobile, jet skis, motorcycles, cars. I simply didnt know it was possible if you use the right size head.
i sure have, many times. If the previous owner tightened down incorrectly, or they already started rounding it, its pretty easy to strip

·
Registered
202 Posts
michaLcoughliN said:
So this morning.. Fixed.

I was able to get the check/fill plug out of my manual transmission.

I used my easy out bit, tapped it in with a hammer gently. Put a 1/2 6" extension on it. And a big 1/2 wratches. long and behold. Getting into a good position for leverage.

Crack. I got the plug to move. took off my wratched / extension, and took out the plug. Happier then a pig in sh*t i got this. I was so scared at first that the owner before me "fuc*d it up but I got er done.

Now i replaced the plug tightened to my expectations.

Now. I was wondering how do you guys get at the drain plug. I wasn't going to fight with that this morning.

I see the drain plug on the transmission but my #8hex bit cant fit in there.

Are you guys using allen keys? or how are you guys able to get at the drain plug since suspension parts in the way.

Thanks again.
Could you tell me whether this is the 5 or 6 speed manual transmission? I have had rough shifts with my 6 speeder since I ever got the car (only 9000 miles at the time, now 44k). I want to change the fluid, even if it doesn't fix it then I want to get rid of the swarf that must be floating about by now due to the grating between gears.

Also, could you point out where the fill plug is, I cannot seem to find it, (unless it's covered by some other kit which blocks my view) - I can find the drain, but I'm not touching that till I know how to fill it up again!

I assume that the fill level is keep putting it in till it runs out of the fill plug?

Thanks
Garry

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the 5 speed. If you take off the d/s wheel you can see the check plug.
the drain on mine is covered by suspension parts in which i need to modify an allen key to get at.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Would I be able to use Royal Purple Tranny fluid??? I have 3 bottles sitting around from my old Honda. Figure I put it to good use.

·
Registered
34 Posts
dsanders16 said:
It is most certainly possible, and the biggest PITA to get out once stripped.

On a side note. Having some experience with the infamous early ('60's and '70's) Porsche 901 and 915 transmissions I would recommend to anyone whose looking to use Swepco 201 gear oil. I have used it and it works very well. If it can return the positive feel to these transmissions than it can make anything feel smoother.

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts