SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations on what trans fluid I should use. I'm getting the classic 3rd gear grind, so I'm wondering if I should:

Spend $55 on 5 quarts of 93165290 to do the 3 time flush

Or spend $35 on 2 quarts of Red Line 50504 MT-85 75W85 and drain and fill once

I guess if I had a choice I of course would rather save $20 and only do the drain/fill once, but if it's highly recommended to use the more 'Saab-approved' stuff I would do it. But it seems that the Redline stuff is just as good, and compatible with the old fluid

I don't know if the fluid has ever been changed on my car but I doubt it

Any recommendations appreciated!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh I see. So I should use that fluid? That's universally agreed on? It seemed to me there was a lot of discrepancy between 9-3's and 9-5's that were post '01 because of a new use of a MTF

Do I need to flush or can I drain and add?

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
Ahh I see. So I should use that fluid? That's universally agreed on? It seemed to me there was a lot of discrepancy between 9-3's and 9-5's that were post '01 because of a new use of a MTF

As far as I know, if you have an FM5x transmission, this fluid would be the preferred one.

Do I need to flush or can I drain and add?

Hard to tell without seeing what's in your car now. I do know that my '03 simply got drained and then this stuff used.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as I know, if you have an FM5x transmission, this fluid would be the preferred one.

Hard to tell without seeing what's in your car now. I do know that my '03 simply got drained and then this stuff used.
I think it's safe to say the fluid that's in the trans right now is the fluid from the factory. It was never maintained that well (except for the emblems :roll:)

·
Registered
9,358 Posts
I think it's safe to say the fluid that's in the trans right now is the fluid from the factory. It was never maintained that well (except for the emblems :roll:)

I suspect that you can just change the fluid. The big flush and drain was for switching from the motor oil I think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts