SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While doing my brakes today I figured it would be a good Idea to change my manual transmission fluid to the new synthetic (I was having some cold shifting issues).
Anyway, I could not get the drain screw out. There was barely enough room to get the allen wrench in the screw and then when I tried to turn the wrench it ran into the control arm.

Does anyone have any experiance with this? I spent $70.00 on trans fluid. I would hate to have it go to waste.

thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
oil trans

hmm.. i thought we do not change the trans fluid for the saab. mine is an auto. and the last time i called the mechanics they say no needed to change. but i heard that some use a pump to suck it out so they can refill it afterward. i am still confuse with all these advice from different dealer. good luck...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Normally you don't replace it. On the pre 2001 95 Manual trans. there was a known issue of hard shifitng. Sometimes a fluid change to the new sythetic fluid fixed the problem. Sometimes a repair kit is needed.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Hi, i changed my gear oil last August, and i have pasted a copy of my post from then . (it was posted on another forum before i found this forum ;oops: )

Finally got round to changing the gear oil.
Cars on 61000 miles, and the gear movement was just feeling a little stiff for me.
Dont know when its scheduled for change but thought i would do it asap and very glad i did.
Had to cut down an 8mm hex allen key to access drain plug. Luckily the key had a long handle as it takes a little torque to crack the nut, but once cracked you can just spin it out with one of those little 1/4 drive hex pieces.
Used a conventional 8mm hex socket to remove fill plug on top of box.
Use a large basin below for draining, as the oil spurts straight onto the opposing crossmember.

There is a little magnet on the drain plug, and mine had collected a little cluster of metal filings. I had just ran the car for a few miles so oil was nice and hot so flowed out well.
There was also a very minimal slight bit of sludgy stuff at the end of draining. I jacked car up and down to make sure every last drop came out and could not feel any sludge or anything left inside at bottom.

Filled it up with saab spec oil, but also added a little zx1 metal treatment.

Result - Excellento, Feels much slicker on changing with less resistance on stick
NOTE - Offcourse, this oil change only delayed the inevitable as my box went on to slip out of all gears, and i had to change box, but the oil change (used saab oil) definetly smoothed the changes out a little.

·
Registered
527 Posts
saab4me said:
hmm.. i thought we do not change the trans fluid for the saab. mine is an auto. and the last time i called the mechanics they say no needed to change. but i heard that some use a pump to suck it out so they can refill it afterward. i am still confuse with all these advice from different dealer. good luck...
I think the dealers tell people not to change the tranny oil so they can charge you to replace the tranny after it dies! It just doesn't make any sense to me.
All fluids age and break down after a certain period of time.

I drain my auto-tranny fluid with every engine oil change (5,000 miles). You only get 3 quarts out for each pass, but it keeps the fluid much fresher than waiting every 60,000 miles. I figure spending $$ on tranny fluid is much cheaper than buying a new tranny!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts