SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Saab NG900 2.3L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently replaced the head unit in my 1996 900S, and I was thinking it would be nice to put the automatic antenna on a manual switch. I rarely listen to the radio, but my antenna goes up anytime I have the sound system on. I figure there's no point in putting the excess wear, and chancing it getting damaged, if I'm not using it to listen to the radio.

Anyways, I'm hoping to put a toggle switch in next to my seat heater buttons. However, I'm not sure how the automatic antenna works. Does the wire coming off the head unit just send a signal (as in one pulse) to the antenna? Or is there constant current while the antenna is up? If anyone knows, or has done this with their car, please let me know! If not I'll pull out my multi meter and report back.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
The antenna movement is a relay triggered by 12v - when there is 12v, antenna is up, no 12v and the antenna is down.

·
Registered
1998 Saab NG900 2.3L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The antenna movement is a relay triggered by 12v - when there is 12v, antenna is up, no 12v and the antenna is down.
Okay awesome, so just an inline switch should do fine for controlling it while the stereo is on, yeah?

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Yes, all you have to do is put a switch in line with the antenna trigger line.

You can use a Saab switch if you want. I tried doing that, but I wanted a cleaner look. So I tried to put a switch blank on top of a seat heat switch. Unfortunately this is harder than you'd assume. If you don't mind another seat heat switch, then it's easy (and illuminated).

·
Registered
1998 Saab NG900 2.3L
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, all you have to do is put a switch in line with the antenna trigger line.

You can use a Saab switch if you want. I tried doing that, but I wanted a cleaner look. So I tried to put a switch blank on top of a seat heat switch. Unfortunately this is harder than you'd assume. If you don't mind another seat heat switch, then it's easy (and illuminated).
That's a decent idea! I was planning on drilling out a blank for a toggle switch, but it would be nice to keep it a little more original looking.

My Saab has a total of 5 switch "bays", but only two of them are used for the seat heaters, do you know what other switches went in there? I'm assuming it's for more premium options but I'm not sure what else was offered.

·
Registered
10,278 Posts
The extra switch is "currently unavailable", according to eSaabparts. I've been looking for one of those for years, and never come across one that's for sale.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Did this on my '02 9-3, using a seat heat switch because it "toggles" correctly. I didn't know about the "Extra" switch for the 9-3 at the time, and have still never seen one - the 9000 and original 900 had them, primarily intended for lights.

Hopefully someone will tell you which terminals to use for the load and the switch illumination.

Switch blanks - my '04 9-5 had 6 if I recall correctly. They are all now filled with non-blanks, including On-Star (which 9-5 didn't have in Europe), none of them do anything, but all are illuminated. Interesting that the 2006 > 9-5s had only one or two blank positions. I wonder what the original designers thought people were going to retrofit to their cars. Even a fully optioned 9-5 at the time couldn't fill all the blanks.

I believe the NG 900 had the same panel as the older 9-3s - in which case on the row of five switches ahead of the gear shift, below the air con controls, all the 9-3s with ACC had the temp sensor intake grille in one position, might have had two seat heat switches, and might have had a TCS button. I don't recall seeing a 9-3 with all those five positions filled. Maybe they were thinking of offering vented seats like the 9-5.

Doug

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
That's a decent idea! I was planning on drilling out a blank for a toggle switch, but it would be nice to keep it a little more original looking.

My Saab has a total of 5 switch "bays", but only two of them are used for the seat heaters, do you know what other switches went in there? I'm assuming it's for more premium options but I'm not sure what else was offered.
Beyond the ACC temp sensor, I can't think of anything that would go into the console switch bay. The earlier 9-5s could fill that area up with seat heat and ventilation switches.

On the row of light switches, headlight load adjustment switches went into one of the blanks (where equipped).

ETA: where did TCS buttons go on the 9-3?

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
You can convert a switch from one/off to momentary or vise versa. There's a little spring inside the bottom part of the housing that, if there, makes it on/off. If not, it's momentary.

You need to release the bottom section of the switch to pull it out of the way. Then look on one of the long sides and you will see the spring in there. It's one of those sort of compasses shaped thingys with a coil in the center. You'll need small tweezers to install or remove one.

I was planning a write up on that with illustrations one day but I haven't gotten around to it. Maybe soon since there seems to be a need :)

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
"ETA: where did TCS buttons go on the 9-3?"

Extreme left of the row of five centre console switches.

Doug

·
Registered
420 Posts
For the record the TCS switch from a 9-5 will fit in the blank under the fog light switches in a 900ng/9-3og. I don't know why there is a spare space there as I don't think there's any need for it on a standard vehicle....

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
643 Posts
I know this seems odd - but rear heated seats don't seem to be common, so could you use the 'blank' from that (near the power windows)?
If you didn't want to use the blanks next to the TCS, front heated seats and On-Star.
The other option > could you use the location where the convertible has its 'hood up etc' switch?
Some ideas anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts