SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've actually been on this site for a long time learning how to fix all the various sundry things that have broken on my '96 900 SE vert. A much belated thanks to all for your advice, knowledge, and help.

I've got a new problem now, one that I'm sure someone has already figured out. Hopefully.

Picture this: I just spent $600 :x to get the exhaust replaced (parts from eEuroparts and labor from the local CarX) and I'm driving home. A quarter mile from my house, I'm turning onto my street and the manual shifter goes limp. I can move it around but nothing happens, and I'm stuck in one lane of a busy street--in fifth gear! :eek: After getting a push out of the street from a guy "who's been there before," I figured out my problem was the metal clip at the end of the shifter rod. It was a problem as in the clip pulled a Houdini and vanished. I fixed that in a couple minutes, but realized I now had trouble shifting into second. That's why I'm here today.

I pulled the leather shifter thingy up from around the shifter base and inspected the configuration. I noticed that whenever I pulled the shifter back, the white collar moved up (please refer to the picture of the collar that’s attached). It's secure on the right side, but not on the left. I concluded that's why it's difficult to shift into second. I tested my theory by using one hand to hold down the collar, and the other hand to slide the shifter into second. It worked with no problem, so I am confident the fact that the white collar is not secure is the problem.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out the name of the part and/or how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Not quite as appreciated as the guy who pushed me out of oncoming traffic, but still greatly appreciated. :D Thanks.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts