SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Has anyone done the manual shift knob replacement in the 9-5? I have the leather knob and would like to switch to the carbon fiber knob. I already have it but the instructions say to use a hacksaw and cut the installed knob in half. I have hard time bringing myself to doing it. Has anyone been able to take knob off without destroying it?

Thanks,

Janster

X

·
0 Posts
The knob is held on by an epoxy glue. I was lucky enough to loosten mine by holding it in both hands and giving it a hard twist, but it took some force. Most people tend to use the hacksaw method. (This was the dealerships method as well):eek:

Finn :)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Finn said:
The knob is held on by an epoxy glue. I was lucky enough to loosten mine by holding it in both hands and giving it a hard twist, but it took some force. ............. Finn :)
That make my eyes water just reading it :eek:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Andyaero said:
Any online instructions on this anywhere as I've gone and ordered a very bling brushed aluminium one for my 9000:cheesy: .
Ah ha the bling spreads to the 9000's :cool:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Andyaero said:
Any online instructions on this anywhere as I've gone and ordered a very bling brushed aluminium one for my 9000:cheesy: .

Does this help?

X

·
0 Posts
Andyaero said:
Had a metal one in my last car, went to France and left the car in the sun, the gear knob was so hot I couldn't touch the damn thing. Started putting an old bar towel over it every time I got out :confused:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Kermits 9-5 said:
Lets get this right... you put a bar towel over your knob when the suns out? :eek: :cheesy:
Its ok they prefer it that way in France ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No Hacksaw Necessary

OK, thanks to the many posts, I decided to do some experimentation with no "harmful" tools (relatively speaking).
As it has done many times before, the Swiss Army knife has proven to be the right tool for the job again. The key here was not how big, or how many gadgets it had, but how small, dull, and rigid it was.

This is the knife I used. All I had to do was to use the nail file, and slide it between the knob and the Reverse release shaft from underneath, and after little of fishing around I was able to succesfully unlatch the original shift knob (on my leather version there was also a black plastic ring glued between the actual knob body and the Reverse release, which came out first).

New knob is now installed and the old one is on its box.

Thanks all.

Janster

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
jsvoboda said:
The key here was not how big................but how small, dull, and rigid it was.
Thats what I keep telling the wife:roll:

jsvoboda said:
New knob is now installed and the old one is on its box.

Thanks all. Janster
Excellent well done :cool: ..............any pics? :confused:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Very nice job, well done;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts