SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, just got a 1998 9-5 2.3 with manual box and got a couple of questions..

1: Planning to change the gearbox oil as starters, and need to know what is the recomended oil. I would probably not be able to get the exact oil here in Malaysia, so the specs would be good to know, so that I can find a suitable equivalent.

2: Does the 9-5 have "day running lights" option like the 900 classics? Is there any way I can activate the "day running light"?

Many thanks in advance..

EJ

·
Registered
516 Posts
The newest oil recommended for our gearbox in called MTF 0063, though I suspect some dealers in the US have been putting in anything they have around.

MTF 0063 is DIFFERENT than Saab Manual Transmission Fluid or something similar, which was used pre-2002. Switching any type of oil requires a 3x flush.

Details here: http://www.genuinesaab.com/psi/files/93-95man-oil.htm
I don't think I can help you on the specs, though.

Daytime running lights are a Tech II option. Or, you can keep the headlights on, which is the same thing.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Zef,

Thanks for your reply, I suppose the MTF 0063 is a specilized fluid. Would you know the equivalent that would be readily available? For the classic, the Dextron that is specified for the ATF is the same as the Castrol ATF fluid.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I see no reason you can't buy MTF 0063 in Malaysia. Any Saab dealer should carry it.

It looks like this:

Also, GM sells a few other cars here in the States that use the F35 manual transmission. The GM part number for the oil that goes in those transmissions is 88861800.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Zef,

Thanks for your reply, I suppose the MTF 0063 is a specilized fluid. Would you know the equivalent that would be readily available? For the classic, the Dextron that is specified for the ATF is the same as the Castrol ATF fluid.
Anecdotally, I've heard others on various forums who have used a Redline MTF and liked it. Unfortunately, I do not know the specs of MTF 0063 or any other equivalents, but if you have a Saab dealer, you should be able to get it without too much difficulty.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All,

The problem is that the dealership for SAAB's here in Malaysia has wound up operations, so all of us SAAB fiends have only ourselves to fend for. Thats why we end up having to scour the net in search of aid and such..lol!!

Anyways, I can get Redline here in Kuala Lumpur, and what is everyone's take on the MOTUL MTF? Any experience anyone?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another add on to my query above on the "day running light". This is controlled via fuse #35, if the fuse is in place then you have "day running lights". If you remove the fuse, then you disable the "day running lights". With the "day running lights" on - your tail lights as well as the front park lights come on with ignition. No need for the Tech Tool to activate/deactivate this option.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Hi All,

The problem is that the dealership for SAAB's here in Malaysia has wound up operations, so all of us SAAB fiends have only ourselves to fend for. Thats why we end up having to scour the net in search of aid and such..lol!!
Try a GM dealer in Malaysia, they should be able to get it for you. Whatever MTF you use make sure it's for synchcromesh manual trans; you can always use amsoil they ship world wide or find an amsoil dealer in Malaysia.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/mtf.aspx
http://www.eeuroparts.com/Main/PartDetail.aspx?id=93165290

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Zef,

You want to use MTF not ATF for manual gear box.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts