SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an EMS rack and it needs inner tie rods and I’ll want to put new outers on too. I was digging through old posts and someone said the tie rods (inner and outer) are different, is that true???
Will I be able to mount the rack to my 85 SPG?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
900 EMS or 99 EMS. Also, why?
I’m absolutely sick and tired of the PS leaks and lack of parts. Scrounging to find that 1 reservoir that doesn’t leak. And I’ve been running mine without power assist for a year and it’s fine.

I found the old listing and it’s a 900 EMS rack

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
It will bolt in, but IIRC the tie rods are different than the regular powered rack. It's possible they are the same as a 99 rack - I am virtually positive they are not unique in the strictest sense. I wasn't a fan of the slower ratio on my '80.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will bolt in, but IIRC the tie rods are different than the regular powered rack. It's possible they are the same as a 99 rack - I am virtually positive they are not unique in the strictest sense. I wasn't a fan of the slower ratio on my '80.
This one is the quick ratio. But what you’re saying is I should look for 99 inner tie rods?

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
All IIRC:

Standard unpowered ratio 3.2:1
EMS ratio 2.8:1
Powered ratio 2.5:1
99 tie rods

Don't quote me on any of this. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Regardless, I think Armstrong steering in an SPG wouldn't do much other than grow your forearms.
All that torque going to the front wheels kinda negates any steering input you may have, however precise.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Regardless, I think Armstrong steering in an SPG wouldn't do much other than grow your forearms.
All that torque going to the front wheels kinda negates any steering input you may have, however precise.
yeah I agree. if its too difficult to source the inners and if it needs to be rebuilt, i'll probably just rebuild the PS one.

·
Registered
8,176 Posts
I drove my SPG for 8 years with a depowered rack. It was fine - the only issue I really had was at exceptionally low speeds, even with sticky 215s on it. I did not find control to be a problem, even on "fast" runs through the Sierra Nevadas. I needed new everything - rack, pump, hoses, reservoir - and since it wasn't a problem I focused my efforts elsewhere. When I had a good opportunity to replace the rack, I just did the whole job... it wasn't super expensive two years ago. Powered is definitely a lot easier when parallel parking, but at normal road speeds I can honestly say it doesn't make a difference (to me).

·
Registered
292 Posts
Having owned a manual-steering 99 and having driven without power assist working in a 900, I can tell you there are definite benefits to the power steering. One, as mentioned, parking can be ridiculous. At the time, I had BFG G-Force Sports on the car which made it even worse. Two, and this is just a belief, I don't have anything to support this, but I think the car just tracts straighter with power steering. Maybe it is like having a steering dampener built in.

Also, I don't think the 99 (if the 900 EMS rack has similar internal bushings) rack was the the most durable unit either and since there are no parts available, maybe that is a consideration.

Personally, if you are going to the trouble of changing the rack (a lot of work), setting up the wheel alignment properly, etc. etc. why not do what jvanabra did and change all the power components to new?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
PS was leaky on my first 900, so I installed manual rack. Used it for years and I was happy not to think about PS fluid. Parking was bit of exercise but nothing too bad at a time. After that there was PS rack w/o belts and fluid -same more or less…. My new 900 came with good PS rack and I forgot about manual steering. Few times I was driving my fathers (lighter than 900) car w/o PS and I was really surprised how hard it was to steer at low parking speed. I would not go back…

1 - 11 of 11 Posts