SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought a manual boost controller from PFS ages ago. I am now thinking of fitting it.

£22

A little qestion shoot out:
- Can i fit it to my T16 (i heard it can be a pain with ECU's and APC)
- Where do i fit it. (i heard it has to be b4 the ECU)
- How high should i turn my boost up once i got it on?

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
The easiest way to set use the MBC is to replace the APC solenoid attached to the radiator top panel, though this will lose the APCs ability to control boost in the event of detonation.

One pipe on the solenoid connects into the plastic intake pipe (pre turbo) connect this to the exit on the MBC which points out of the bottom. The other two pipes are then connected to the other fittings on the MBC.

I wouldn't turn the boost up much beyond 1bar or so, and make sure you use a calibrated boost gauge.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
And PLEASE, install a knock-led, so you can ease off the throttle if you get knock... Otherwise, you are asking for huge engine-trouble...
Daniel.

·
Registered
883 Posts
There is a very good chance you can blow a hole in a piston if you are not absolutley sure your fueling and ignition timming are not spot on throughout the rev range. If you are fitting an MBC to get more boost you will have upgraded these parameters already - ? If you are replacing the APC and want the same boost - why?

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
And a nice APC-tweak would give you a nice increase in power, along with the safety you get with the APC-system in place...

Daniel.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Amen!

APC can be tweaked for more power while retaining knock sensing. The box can be further modified with a couple of replacement parts to take boost all the way to the end of the stock turbo ... pop over to 900 Aero for the facts.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
Just to back up what's been said, I am one of the few on here that use an MBC, and I would definitely say you should use your existing and far superior APC system to get the same effect in safety.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool thanks guys i never really under stood what APC's do till now. All it was to me was something i heard people talk about now and then.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
It's a really nice way to control boost. When the APC see the engine knocking, it will back boost down, so you don't burn a hole in a piston or two...

Daniel.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
We'll be seeing you over on 900 Aero, then Frank? Take a good browse through the forum topics, particularly the APC Specific forum. There's a wealth of great information, trials, tests, etc. Don't be scared to ask a question though; I looks very arcane but even the "gurus" had to ask the simple questions once.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Daniel

This is abit beond me Daniel in his almight alknowing self has said if i post it to him he will sort it out for me! What a guy :D

Hes just talked me though installing my FMIC

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Don't mention it, we are here to help each others... Thank god for Saabcentral and MSN...

Daniel.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yep stick with the APC if you can get the mods done easily enough, otherwise stick to 1 bar if your using an MBC. On a lucas injected turbo thats good for upto 220bhp. My T16 was perfectly happy sitting at that level(wanting more so the APC is making a comeback). My Lpt will soon be sitting at that mark with an MBC and intercooler fitted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts