SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I searched and couldnt find anything. I want to make the old chaulky looking rear spoiler on my SPG look like new. How do I do that?
Thanks

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Try some "back to black" type product, if you put a drop of corn oil on there and just wipe it around it will look great but attract a lot of pollen and such.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Rear Spoiler on 3 door / convertible - a trick

These spoilers are made of a foam type substance with a thin rubberized outer coating. If your spoiler is degraded physically so that the rubberized outer coating has decayed, you're kind of out of luck, but if its just faded and not - black looking despite attempts to protect/treat it, i figured out a way to make it look great. PS. Some spraypaint the spoiler. Big mistake in my opinion, it'll crack. Eventually. Or very quicly.

Here's how I did it... it works brilliantly. I'm incredibly picky too... I learned this on a Porsche BBS where they all have issues with rubber lips on certain vintage 911 whaletails.

1) Clean off the spoiler with something like All Purpose Auto cleaner, disk soap/water, something without protectant. Don't use simple green, it's too harsh here methinks.

2) Get a small container of KIWI LEATHER SHOW permanent black dye. Not show polish, but the actual black leather dye that comes in a little bottle for like 3 bucks at the store... it has a foam applicator tip.

3) Wait for the spoiler to completely COMPLETELY dry. Bone dry. Otherwise it'll streak. I then ran a wide painters masking tape around th espoiler where it touches the car.

4) Using the foam applicator fairly liberally put the kiwi black leather dye on the spoiler. It'll soak in pretty quick... Maybe give the thing 2 coats over all.

5) Buy 303 Aerospace Protectant. Do not use armor all, or anything like that. 303 Aerospace is hard to find localy, I buy it online for maybe $15 a bottle... trust me, it's well worth it.

6) When the dye has dried... apply 303. I reapply it about every 2 - 3 weeks when I wash the car.

My spoiler on the grey 89 SPG looks like brand freaking new now, and has for over a year, parked outside about 50% of the time.

The dye is great because its water based, and really thin. It doesnt cake, etc... and it'll actually cover up those whitish spots on teh spoiler from old wax or environmental fallout.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice, I'll pick up some dye and try that, thanks!

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
I used leather dye on my wing mirrors too, they still look brand new.

I used lather dye on my mud flaps, they still look new.

My spoiler still looks factory fresh, so I will hold off.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I give mine a gentle scrub with a worn green scotch-brite pad to remove the oxidized rubber. Smooths out the "feel" of the rubber covering that gets a felt-like "fur" covering. I have used Armorall with no apparent problems so far.

Will look into the Kiwi shoe leather dye and the 303 Aerospace stuff. Thanks.

WD40 sprayed onto a cloth and then applied to the hard black plastic parts and the rubber mud flaps does well, too! Makes them look like new.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Is Autoglym available on this side of the pond??

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Someone mentioned a product "forever black",which is supposed to be great for fading bumpers etc.,but I haven't been able to find it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
45 years ago, now, my neighbour - really old at around 19 or 20 used to pay me a penny a wheel to put black boot polish on the tyres of his 30's Citroen so that it looked good when he went to impress his girl-friend.

Still works - particularly on those black rubberised bits - :cool:

·
Saab Mad
14,069 Posts
Is there any such thing as spray rubber?

If the rubber skin has worn away the surely the best remedy is to replace it.

There's a product called "Speedliner" which is a very tough spray-rubber for truck beds, wheel arches etc. Unfortunately it dries to a wrinkle-finish but I expect there are alternative products which dry to smooth finishes.

How about this?
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...E3E02LECIE20O0D6_nid=79PWB8LS2FbeDCH9W13WN4gl

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
Matthew said:
Is there any such thing as spray rubber?

If the rubber skin has worn away the surely the best remedy is to replace it.

There's a product called "Speedliner" which is a very tough spray-rubber for truck beds, wheel arches etc. Unfortunately it dries to a wrinkle-finish but I expect there are alternative products which dry to smooth finishes.

How about this?
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_GB/3M-Automotive-Aftermarket/Home/-/Product-Catalogue/Products-Coatings/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20O0D6_nid=79PWB8LS2FbeDCH9W13WN4gl
Matthew-

I have seen the use of black bumper spray on these parts and it has an incredible ability to flex, unlike most paints. It dries with a more "soft" like strech to it. I used it on the flexible Aero wheel arch covers too with incredible 10/10 results, very forgiving to use. I also painted the front lower rubber spoiler with it, and despite hitting some parking dividers;oops: it still did not flake.

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
my be stating the obvious? but what is the item made of, rubber.(outer surface anyway) and what are tyres made of,rubber, used tyre foam, it cleans and makes it look good., but mind the paint work, just mask it up.read instructions

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I use Speedliner on the wheel arches everytime i do a suspension job, i love the stuff. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts