SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 ng900 turbo... It's got a 3" dp witha 2.5 inch exhaust and an intake thats about it... I was planning on getting a new car because I wanted something more reliable, but I was thinking about it and I really like my car, and it wouldnt even be half as much to make my car sweet as it would to buy a WRX like I planned...

Anyways.. I am planning on taking out a loan for around $8000 to finish my car with, but about 3grand is going to be spent on getting it painted and rust fixed. I can get a full viggen kit for $2500 from the local dealer, wich is the only place I know of to get a viggen kit with no risk. I am just wondering if anyone who has a fully upgraded 900 has an advice on what to get, I was thinking stage 3 ECU, intercooler, 2.5" inlet piping, suspension ect.... I basically want to just have a sick car no matter what it takes, so if you have experience with what works and what doesnt, I could use your advice, thanks in advance... -Mark

·
Registered
642 Posts
so if money is not an issue, then here we go.

Stage IV ECU (SQR is what I have and love but look into Maptun, and Nordic)
Disco Potato GT-28 turbo
Bigger Injectors
Full 3" Exhaust and Downpipe
Koni Kit
Steering Brace.
Open air intake
Rear Sway Bar
Short Shifter
All Poly bushings
New Rims and Tires
Performance Intercooler
Aquamist
damn I wish I had 8grand to spend on my car.

Also have to consider labor costs as well.

·
Registered
328 Posts
i have to say, dropping $2500 on a viggen body kit is just nuts (IMHO). yes, i know it looks sweet, but with that $2500 think of all the other stuff you could do (stuff that would actually make it GO faster instead of LOOK faster). just my two cents!

sounds like you're on a good track with HW/SW etc. where are you going to source your parts? there have been some good threads in the last few weeks about intercoolers (MP vs JSP) and software (MP vs others) which you've probably seen, but if not then worth looking at...

good luck and keep us posted :)

·
Registered
642 Posts
yea i'd save the money and just maybe get a 9-3 front bumper and the catalog kit, will look nice but save alot of money

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Marky,

You say you want a more dependable car.. What kinds of problems are coming up? I dont want to be a naysayer, but adding more performance parts to a car that's been giving you trouble will generally make it LESS dependable.

Dont get me wrong, I would love to see this car built. But I'd hate to see this car built and then the clutch goes ;oops: Make sure you have a solid platform to build your fast SAAB on. How many miles are on the car? Would you spend 8 grand to buy a car with that many miles? The engine and suspension, brakes, and clutch are all things to consider.

Sorry, I'm just a touch angry at the Vig right now, as she appears to think I've got too much money (obviously I have not yet opened the books to her yet :roll: ) And it appears to be effecting my judgement right now.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Agreed about the Saabcatalog kit (available at SaabCatalog.com). It's less then $400. $400 vs. $2,500? it takes some modification to fit the side pieces to a 900 but it can be done. However, rumour has it they have less then 10 left and when they are gone they will not be made again. (Price was just dropped. Used to be almost $800).
If I spent all that money on my car and a $200 clutch cable went I wouldn't be TOO upset. hehehe
Also you really need to find out if your Saab has the newer front suspension. Not sure how to tell, but it would be real nice if you had the newer setup.
If you have that kind of money to burn I would get Nick ( from GenuineSaab.com ) on the phone and just ask him. hehehe

Not only can he tell you everything you need, but he can sell you most of the parts, too. ;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I would say it would be advantageous to have your engine professionally gone over with a fine tooth comb, to see if its up to the challenge. This is really when you should put forth the effort to make sure your car is in top shape before extracting big power. Also in my opinion I wouldnt spend the money on a viggen kit. I'm more about all go and less show. Good luck none-the-less. Let us know what you decide to do.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Fast Ed,

This is the reason I'm trying to leave my Viggen stock. It seems it ALWAYS wants more money, or maybe I'm just paranoid. I baby it a lot from detailing to new .. things, like tires, wipers and..leather care along with convertible top care. It costs mucho money to get everything just in MAINTAINENCE done perfectly.

I can't afford aftermarket right now, unless it's ..a sway or something like that :)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I'd say first thing you wanna do with that 8 grand is get a super tune up, get everything cleaned, replace worn parts, new brake pads fluids, and so forth, then fill up with 100 octane gas and clean out the system...may put a hydrualic clutch on(i dont know if the 94's come with it).

then if you wana go performance go check out a nordic package...i'd say stage IV or V.....but keep in mind that it wil up the boost and put ALOT more stress on an engine that a little over 10 years old....

·
Registered
642 Posts
hell if you 8k to spend and your concerned, I'd get a whole motor fro a 99 9-3 , the T5 not T7, then you'll still have plenty of money to go crazy with

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the input, heres a couple of answers for some questions...

the 8 grand will be a loan, thats about as high of a loan I will take out. I love cars, I am going to UTI (exton PA) in october to become a mechanic, my dad owns his own garage so I dont have to pay labor, meet emissions standards, ect. basically I have a prime opurtunity to show people what saabs can do.

ok heres the approx. mileage for engine, tranny, and body... Engine = 82k, tranny = 32k (reverse is already going, again), body = 134k... my graduation present from my parents is getting my car profesionally painted and rust repaired, thats when I decided that I want to go all out on it, because its either get my car fixed up or sell it, loose about 4 grand and spend 16 grand on a wrx..

about the viggen kit... a cheaper route would be fine, I just have always wanted it since I found out what a viggen was, and my car's body sucks as well, im missing my spoiler somehow, my back bumper was melted when my original exhaust broke and stuck upwards into it, front bumper isnt in great shape either.

I already have exhaust taken car of, I made a short shifter with the info on Eric's site, boost gauge, and intake... ok time to stop rambling and start looking at parts... more suggestions welcome

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
I'd pull the motor and tranny entirely.

I'd replace the motor with a 2.3L from a 9000, and upgrade the tranny to a GT30 or a Mitsu 18T or 19T. I'd have the tranny professionally strengthened with cryo-treated shot-peened gears and transmit that new power to the road through a Quaife LSD....

I'd replace the old control arms with new ones with poly bushings.

Install Koni shocks and lowering springs fore and aft...

Source brake rotors and calipers from a 9000 Aero and get the mounting brackets....

Rear anti-swar bar, subframe braces, etc....

This car will be a short-money beast.

And the paint? Flat black.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
the most cost effective way to get this car to move out is take tweek and mike's suggestions... and i think u would b around maybe 5000$ if u did some work yourself.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea I already had the color planned out... black, dark tint windows, gun metal rims. I also planned on doing a custom 2-tone interior with black and tan, wich it already is but I wanted add more black.

I can get a 2.3l 9000 engine for $75 at a junkyard near where I live, it would need to be rebuilt though..

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
$75!!!!! I would buy that just to take it apart for the fun of it! Of course then I'd have to find a way to dispose of it....

·
Registered
642 Posts
seriously it would be like 75$ learning tool. taking it apart rebuilding try out things you would never try on your own engine just to play with it would be a blast.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Marky,

First of I'd like to say that it's cool that you've decided to spend the money on making an awesome Saab hit the roads instead of doing what most people do, go get a new car. :roll:

I'm full of ideas, all the time.. But Since I have NO idea of prices on stuff in the US I really don't know how far you can get. But if I was to spend $8000 on a Saab over here in Sweden I could prpbably build another monster like mine.

A Viggen kit for example, you'd get for around $800-1000 over here.

Take a look at my site and maybe you can get some Ideas. Also, feel free to ask anything.

I wish you the best of luck.
And ohh... almost forgot.. you got any pics of the car now? ;)

Regards,
-Mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts