SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I though a catchy title might draw some people in here.

After a heavy rain today, the puddles are so tempting just to splash and romp through. Are there any negative side effects from doing this? I always heard that the block could split when the water hits it. Also that I could flood the exhaust (but as long as car is running wont this keep the water pushed out of the way?). I just ripped my exhaust off going through a pretty small puddle at a low speed and don't know what else could rip off.

Just me being curious is all...

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
when i went through a deep puddle a while back it messed mine up pretty bad :lol: i got mud all in my calipers, and it made it feel like the brakes were on constantly, and it pulled to the left every time i braked :eek: it went away after i washed it though :lol:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha only kidding...sort of. Mud isnt really a problem, the puddles (small oceans) are mostly on the streets.

·
4,637 Posts
The two main risks of driving through puddles are:

1. Getting the ignition wiring wet and losing spark. This is just a breakdown until it all dries out again.

2. Getting water sucked into the engine air intake and hydrolocking the engine. This can cause serious damage. The C900 turbo air intake is pretty safely set up to avoid this, the N/A version is more at risk.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
woywitka said:
meh, I drove 900s through tons of big puddles!
and thats why your drive-shaft tunnel rotted away! :p

Personally I wouldn't get the underside of my car any wetter than necessary, If you've got clear shallow puddles (like no more than 2") then sure go for it, just watch out for aquaplaning and and try not to soak the locals. Anything deeper / you can't see the bottom of however, common sense would tell me to avoid...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts