SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 1986 900 Turbo, and its losing lot of oil. I can see where its coming from but am not sure where its leaking. The oil is leaking from the front of the engine around the flywheel. I have not pulled it apart to inspect it yet so was hoping for any ideas as to what it could be.

I know its leaking from that area because I have cleaned the engine and watched the oil collect around the bottom of the flywheel, additionally the flywheel, in doing what it does, spinning :D is spraying it all around the engine bay.

Any ideas what could be under there and leaking all that oil? Is it an easy fix? or require pulling the whole engine apart.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ozsaabo

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Hi there,

I don't know about the auto's but in both 900's I've owned, (the much missed '86 EMS and the current '93, both N/A's) to cure this problem, I needed to remove the clutch and flywheel, remove the engine back plate, (which involves removing the starter as well) clean and reseal back plate, install fresh crank seal and reassemble. The problem being getting the plate in square and not damaging the engine/gearbox metal gasket.:(
For me it's a '5 out of 10' on the pain in the a-se scale but one of those jobs that makes a lot of difference if you care about the cosmetic appearence of the engine bay.;)

Good Luck
Cheers

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I did this job on our 1990 900S auto, and it involves removing the engine/trans and separating them so you can remove the converter and flex plate.

If you can DIY, it's a great opportunity to inspect/replace a lot of other hard-to-get-at bits, as well as coolant hoses, inner drivers, trans filter, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts