SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hus_sho thanks for all your help! I'll let you know how things go after the ECU fix this coming week. One more thing before I do, though - below are the other things that don't work on this loveable lemon of a car... can you see any common cause that might be related to the injector failure (Or related to a different global problem)?
  • No windows work, except passenger front window with controls on that door, and driver’s door controls will open driver’s side rear window
  • Sunroof works intermittently
  • Cruise control does not work
  • Gas gauge does not work
  • Driver’s side seat heat does not work
  • Message tells me left front signal light is not working, when in fact it is
  • When I unplug the battery, it sometimes does not recognize the key for a half dozen tries afterward, giving me the steering wheel lock message
  • The heater works intermittently (a recent problem)
  • The wiper rain sensor just failed
  • It has always had a stutter on hard acceleration at low RPM. This is made better by using premium gas.
  • The remote entry key does not work (have not tried changing the key battery)
Thanks again for your help!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
2 months later... success at last!! I sent the ECU off to a place in Florida to be refurbished, but they told me it was an internal chip that could not be repaired, and the whole unit needed replacement.

I figured this was my excuse to take the plunge on a Chinese Tech II, so I picked one up for $350, and a used ECU for $150. Then ensued a month of the most horrible wrestling with ancient technology before I succeeded in getting Global TIS to run on an old laptop (I crashed 2 more in the process) and thereby gained security access.

With proper access, marrying the ECU to the car was a very simple 10 minute process, and the engine roared to life immediately! No more misfiring! Now on to solve all those other issues I mentioned in the last post :)

As a sidenote, I can confirm that the original ECU does NOT need to be divorced from the car, and also that the new ECU does NOT need to be from a car with the same transmission. I used an ECU from a car of the same year, matched the part numbers, and the fact that it was changing from automatic to manual transmission made no difference (in fact, this is one of the options you have to select when marrying it to the car).

Thanks again Hus_sho and everyone else for the help!!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts