SaabCentral Forums banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I was pleasantly surprised by that too. I think it's peculiar to the convertible.
You might be on to something there. I prefer the pegs, as they are much easier to align when putting the panel back on. I'm still not happy with the fit of the mirror mount cover. For some reason it doesn't sit sung against the door. I was tired, so maybe I missed something. Will check in the morning.

·
Registered
2003 Saab 9-3 Vector Auto 225k+
6 Posts
Everything is good. The cable worked: Amazon.com: Wirenest GM Tech 2 Vetronix Bosch DB9 PC Adapter 3000111 TPMS J-42598 J42598 & 5ft Cable : Electronics
I was able to upload the 148.bin file to the T2 by following the instructions here: Writing PCMCIA using Card Writer · TECH2WIKI.COM
Now I am armed with a GM Tech 2 updated with Saab 148 software. Big smile!

View attachment 291448
Glad to hear you able to get a tech 2 to diagnose, for anybody else who stumbles along I have had good luck using a screw style coil on plug tester to find a weak coil that only missfired under load

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
The Tech2 came in handy just in time. In the last two weeks our Saab developed a slight but noticeable miss. It's funny, or not so much, but the miss became apparent after I switched the new Bosh plugs for factory NKGs? They come pre-gapped, but maybe it would be a good idea to check the gap. I also have a spare coil, so I'll do some testing with a coil swap. Some sleuthing will be required.

Also scored another win at the wrecking yard. Picked up a really nice ICM3 with only two small imperfections on the buttons. I may sell it or possibly do Stuarts Android/Iphone screen conversion. Not sure yet.

Communication Device Gadget Wood Audio equipment Gas

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
So I finally had some time to go out and hook up the Tech2. Before doing so, I wanted to be sure I connected it the right way, so did some research. I was under the impression that a 2004 Saab did not need the Candi module hooked up and I also thought I did not need security access for it either. Well, wrong on both accounts. A couple of different sources said that 2003s did not need Candi, but 2004's on up did. So that's what I did with no apparent ill effects.

Since I had reflashed the memory card with the Saab 148 software and this was the first time I hooke up the car, it read the VIN just fine and gave me no problems. I messed around the menus quite a bit and then ran trouble codes DTCs. Found out among a few other items that my license plate lights were out, lol. When I wanted to switch head units to test out the ICM3, low and behold, it asked for security clearance. I thought for sure 2004s were free and clear of that, but then again, it would be a good test to see if the Tech2 and software played nice with one another.

Took the unit back into my workshop and broke out the old XP laptop with the GlobalTIS software on it. Hooked both machines together and booted Global. Once open, I ticked security access upon which I was prompted to verify the stored VIN. That checked out, and no sooner said than done, I had level 1 access. After so much trial and tribulation getting the software and cables sorted out to get the two marvels of technology to communicate with each other, this simple and flawless procedure ran without a hitch. Needless to say, this day will go down as a highlight, lol.

Now it's time to go back out and check out the ICM3.

Computer Personal computer Font Operating system Software

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I did a lot of checking with the T2 and so far all is good. Did a test on the cat which also reports good. With 224k miles, I am very pleased with our patient's health. I will have to do some more digging into the coil wires. The car had developed some misfires under slight load, such as passing or going up an incline. This happened after I had just installed new NKG plugs. Well, after checking the wire looms connecting to the coils, the misfires seem to be gone. This is before messing with the wires. Cyl 4 is way off, so that's where I'll start.

Font Display device Screenshot Multimedia Electric blue

I reset the misfire and knock counters to see where I stand now. It will be interesting to see this page after a few days of driving.

This was also a good time to check out the ICM3 and it tested fine. No dead pixels and everything worked. While I was doing all of this, Amazon delivered a couple of door lights. My wife always wanted these, so I surprised her.

Font Emblem Symbol Electric blue Circle

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Driving down the freeway today I still noticed the hesitation when trying to go uphill or when passing someone. Been doing some reading and feel like it's a good idea to take a look at the throttle body for a cleaning no matter if that's the problem or not. The plugs are brand new NKGs and the coils have less than 20k miles on them. Won't rule the coils out, so I'll do some more sleuthing this weekend.

The turbo bypass valve is another possible culprit, so I'll see if I can rig my brake vacuum pump up to test the valve. These things should keep me busy for a bit and might yield some results. I'll also hook up T2 again on Sunday to see what the misfires and knock sensors report.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I just started a new thread about the Lseat covers that are now officially on their way. I'll do a video on the transformation from start to finish. Pretty excited about the prospect of restoring the interior. It's my wife's car and she wanted to keep the stock look as much as possible, so we tried to match the two tone gray as best we could given the color options.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts