SaabCentral Forums banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Changed my plugs last night, added STP injector cleaner, and filled her up with 91 octane. Used to use mid grade but find it's hit or miss depending on the place you fill up. Had some misfires before but now all good. Ready for the smog inspection.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Should get the DTECH DB9 to RJ45 cable today that didn't come with the Tech 2. I need that cable to connect the Tech 2 to the laptop. Once I have that cable, I can reprogram my existing GM card to Saab. Let the fun begin.

·
Registered
14,347 Posts
You just told your issue with another thread.
Replace spark plugs ASAP.
Use ONLY NGK PFR6T-10G or NGK BKR7ESC-11 spark plugs. NO EXCEPTIONS!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The Bosh did well since last tune up. They will do well for another 20 or 30k miles or more. In my experience they work as well as the NGK, maybe not as durable though. I'll make an exception though :whistle:

·
Registered
14,347 Posts
You will have misfires etc if you drive with Bosch spark plugs.

But... it is YOUR car not mine.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Did a full days work on the Saab yesterday. Fixed the sticking center vent, removed the blower motor to get that pesky dried leaf out of the basket and at the same time found that the blower motor connector was almost toast. Prepped the replacement passenger door - car was hit and needs door replaced (wrecking yard find) - by removing old window tint, removing unusable door panel, removing inside window guide, and giving the door a thorough cleaning. Next I removed our good door panel from car, removed the side mirror, and window guide. These parts were then fitted to the new door. Not sure if there will be any issues with the wiring harness, but I think I'm safe as the plug for the mirror fit and I'm using our original mirror. I left the door panel off for now as I may need to make adjustments to the locking mechanism, etc. The paint is close, but as you know even same paint from different cars ages differently. Eventually the whole car will be repainted, but for now it will do. Pics will follow, but I didn't take any as I was doing the work and it's too hot to go out there now, lol.
Motor vehicle Electrician Electrical wiring Audio equipment Electronic instrument

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Oh yeah, I may have an issue with one of my hydraulic top cylinders, so I did some research on o-rings. Seems the pesky buggars are hard to come by in small quantities. Amazon has large lots starting at $8, but I don't need 50 at a time, lol. Found that Lowes has a set of 10 for $3. Make sure you check the package as mine only had 8 when opened - sticky fingers at work. Search for Danco 96730. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Danco-10-Pack-7-8-in-x-3-32-in-Rubber-Faucet-O-Ring/3381606
I'll stick one in the hydraulic fluid for a few days to make sure they hold up, don't want them disintegrating and making another mess.

·
Registered
2004 9-3 ARC Convertible
64 Posts
Oh yeah, I may have an issue with one of my hydraulic top cylinders, so I did some research on o-rings. Seems the pesky buggars are hard to come by in small quantities. Amazon has large lots starting at $8, but I don't need 50 at a time, lol. Found that Lowes has a set of 10 for $3. Make sure you check the package as mine only had 8 when opened - sticky fingers at work. Search for Danco 96730. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Danco-10-Pack-7-8-in-x-3-32-in-Rubber-Faucet-O-Ring/3381606
I'll stick one in the hydraulic fluid for a few days to make sure they hold up, don't want them disintegrating and making another mess.
Also available from Amazon at the same price and free shipping with Prime.

·
Registered
11,315 Posts
Someone I know also fixed a cylinder using hardware store o-rings.

I would want more assurance that generic o-rings will stand up. Soaking a few weeks seems like an inadequate test when they will have to stand up to years or soaking, as well as extremely high pressure and sliding in the cylinder bore. Also possibly a crazy range of temperatures.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Someone I know also fixed a cylinder using hardware store o-rings.

I would want more assurance that generic o-rings will stand up. Soaking a few weeks seems like an inadequate test when they will have to stand up to years or soaking, as well as extremely high pressure and sliding in the cylinder bore. Also possibly a crazy range of temperatures.
A few weeks? I was gonna do two days and call it good, lol. Crazy temps? Do you live on Mars? I wonder if these cylinders are considered high pressure? There are o-rings that are softer, made specifically for low pressure systems. But you're right Ed, more info is needed to know what can and cannot be used in this application.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Took some pics of the doors. First up is the damage from the side swipe. Was gonna weld and bondo the door but found another 9-3 convertible lime-yellow at the wreckers and couldn't resist. Yes, the paint won't be quite the same, but for less than a $100 it was a no brainer. The car had a small fire, probably from the blower motor, so the door panel is toast, but mine is good, so no worries. Someone had already snagged the mirror, so I just installed mine. Since the door handle was body colored, I switched out my black handle with the colored one. Let me tell ya, getting at those nuts holding the door handles in place is a major pain, especially the top back nut.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Panel that came with the replacement door. Not much to save here.
Automotive parking light Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

What a pain to remove and install. Black looks much better with all the other black trim.
Hood Product Black Grille Rectangle

The door from the wreckers. Three small paint chips is about all I can find. Got super lucky again. Mirror and door handler from our car, and I'll be installing our original door panels too. This weekend the door goes on. Hope the paint won't stand out too much.
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
623 Posts
3. Is the button on the dash to change system settings always finicky? I turn it and it will never just go to the next menu item. It will randomly skip all over the place. I've given up changing the time manually because it's hard to set the hours and impossible to set the minutes. I don't mind taking the switch out for cleaning the contacts, but would like to hear from the hive first if it might be something else?
Tip I picked up on YouTube that does actually work. Well, it did for me.

I had the skipping and random display on the SID so pulled off the knob and gave the exposed section a good squirt with contact cleaner. Make sure you have a cloth there, you don't want drips down the front. Then put the knob back on and scroll it left right, left right until your fingers ache. Left it a day then did it again. Next day everything working well and I've not had any trouble since. YT vid recommended WD40 but I didn't want to use that.

Regarding the time setting, do radios in the US use RDS or is that a European thing? On mine there's an option to set the time using the RDS signal which means I don't have to set hours, minutes etc.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Maxell was easily my favourite tape brand. XLI-S. (Didn't really like the "chrome" XLII.) My 9-5 does have a cassette, with Dolby B and C. And I play my old Maxell tapes in it to bring back the 1980s. Good times! :cool:

(I do forget if I used Dolby B or C on the later tapes....resulting in flipping between the two, trying to figure out which sounds right.)
I've just bought an '01 E39 BMW and if I'm honest one of the main reasons was because it had the original Becker cassette player :rolleyes: I've run a lot of older Lexus in recent years and they had cassette players until at least 2006. It infuriates my children :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Tip I picked up on YouTube that does actually work. Well, it did for me.

I had the skipping and random display on the SID so pulled off the knob and gave the exposed section a good squirt with contact cleaner. Make sure you have a cloth there, you don't want drips down the front. Then put the knob back on and scroll it left right, left right until your fingers ache. Left it a day then did it again. Next day everything working well and I've not had any trouble since. YT vid recommended WD40 but I didn't want to use that.

Regarding the time setting, do radios in the US use RDS or is that a European thing? On mine there's an option to set the time using the RDS signal which means I don't have to set hours, minutes etc.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that. Yes, I used RDS to set the clock. We have daylight savings time here, so once a year RDS doesn't cut it, lol.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Put the replacement door on today. Taking the door off is very simple, four self centering nuts and the electrical connector. Since I used my original panel, switches, and mirror, no monkeying around and everything worked perfectly. The paint is a little brighter on the new door, but that was to be expected. Will eventually repaint the whole car down the road.

One thing that some YT videos got wrong is the way the door panel is removed and put back. Once the two bolts in the door handle are removed, it's not a matter of taking a trim tool and prying up the panel, it's a matter of lifting the panel straight up and away from the door. There are plastic hooks on the panel that point down, so to remove the panel you have to pull up.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

As I was cleaning the mirror mount cover, the usual black rubberized gunk came off. To my surprise, though, the finish underneath was slightly textured and looked like new without the gunk. A little 303 UV protectant and it looked like a million bucks.
Plant Green Flowerpot Houseplant Fender

·
Registered
623 Posts
One thing that some YT videos got wrong is the way the door panel is removed and put back. Once the two bolts in the door handle are removed, it's not a matter of taking a trim tool and prying up the panel, it's a matter of lifting the panel straight up and away from the door. There are plastic hooks on the panel that point down, so to remove the panel you have to pull up.
I was pleasantly surprised by that too. I think it's peculiar to the convertible.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts