SaabCentral Forums banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Departed Georgia on Monday.

Now for some pet peeves -

1. Does anyone have any experience with the Aero convertible AC system? Specifically, when I turn on the car, the AC always comes on at full blast. I'd like it to come on at level 2 or 3, no more.

2. I had to disconnect the battery two days ago and now the info display is giving incorrect readings. It says my speed is 99 Mph and it doesn't vary. I went into the settings and hit reset, but that didn't change anything. The distance to empty is also missing?

3. Is the button on the dash to change system settings always finicky? I turn it and it will never just go to the next menu item. It will randomly skip all over the place. I've given up changing the time manually because it's hard to set the hours and impossible to set the minutes. I don't mind taking the switch out for cleaning the contacts, but would like to hear from the hive first if it might be something else?

4. The top boot cover will hesitate to close, then go back into resting position and the info system will say only manual operation possible, contact dealer. When I persist and toggle the close button again, it will do the same thing, but usually on the third or four try it will close. I thought it might be the fluid level, but checked it and it's at max. Anyone have this happen? Can a limit switch be out of adjustment?

5. How do you take the A-pillar covers off my convertible? One YT vid said to pop off a small cover revealing a bolt, but mine has no covers and no bolts.

6. Sometimes the drivers side door unlocks itself, like one out of three times locking it. The alarm will still be on, but the door is unlocked. Not sure how to diagnose that? Fob or door lock electrics?

·
Registered
14,347 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Those links will be useful, thank Mimmi.

I removed and opened the SIDC panel. There is just about nothing serviceable in it. The actual control button is just a sealed pod, so cleaning contacts is not an option.

To the 9-3 members, does your control button work precisely or is what I'm experiencing the norm?

·
Registered
11,315 Posts
I have programmed the ACC in my 2003 9-5 to come on at only two bars of fan to take care of your issue #1. Unfortunately there is no such equivalent functionality in the 9-3 ACC. You can use the Profiler to select a generally lower fan speed. I'm not sure how much that will affect the initial tornado when you start the car after it's been sitting in the sun and nice and hot inside. Short answer: no.

Yes, the info knob on my car also can skip around, although if treated slowly it can be okay. Of course I often confuse the Info knob for the identical volume knob below it. Poor ergonomics, Saab!

(The Info knob is not as touchy as my car's wiper control. When it's in intermittent mode, I don't have to even touch the stalk to get an extra wipe: slamming my palm on the steering column will accomplish that!)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
The easiest way to control fan speed is to program the AC not to come on automatically then bump up the fan speed manually. The only subpar option for automatic control is to leave the AC temp close to ambient when you turn the car off so it won't blast. The fan control settings in the SID (high/medium/low) are pitiful IME.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I have programmed the ACC in my 2003 9-5 to come on at only two bars of fan to take care of your issue #1. Unfortunately there is no such equivalent functionality in the 9-3 ACC. You can use the Profiler to select a generally lower fan speed. I'm not sure how much that will affect the initial tornado when you start the car after it's been sitting in the sun and nice and hot inside. Short answer: no.

Yes, the info knob on my car also can skip around, although if treated slowly it can be okay. Of course I often confuse the Info knob for the identical volume knob below it. Poor ergonomics, Saab!

(The Info knob is not as touchy as my car's wiper control. When it's in intermittent mode, I don't have to even touch the stalk to get an extra wipe: slamming my palm on the steering column will accomplish that!)
Thanks for that. Yup, the setting in the profiler does nothing to stem the onslaught at start up, lol. Still wondering if Tech 2 can be of help here. Not a huge deal, but we've had the car for 18 years and still annoying, hahaha. Touch and wipe, the new Saab environmental control :LOL:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The easiest way to control fan speed is to program the AC not to come on automatically then bump up the fan speed manually.
I would be happy if I knew how to do that? Are you talking hypothetically because I haven't found a way to stop it from coming on automatically at start up. If you're talking tech2, then I'm still pleased if it can be done there, I 'd just have to wait a bit as I haven't purchased one yet.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Well, drove the car today and part of the info is now back. Specifically, DTE and MPG are back. Another data piece is a puzzle to me - Arrival time??? What arrival time? I don't have navigation, so what arrival time?
Speed still stuck at 99 Mph???
Found a video on convertible top issues and will try the fix this weekend. If the tonneau cover wont close it might be due to the sensor not making enough contact with the tonneau hinge. The solution is to affix a washer to the hinge to make the contact point larger. It's worth a try and if nothing else will eliminate one possible culprit.

Got question #5 answered - gotta take off the cover between the a-pillars going across the top of the winshield.

In regards to question #3, I removed and opened the SIDC panel and the button inside is just a sealed pod with no serviceable parts. However, my switch is working a little better now that I took it apart and rotated it quickly 20 or 30 times. I think the inside contact wheel is probably corroded and the multiple, quick twists have taken some of the tarnish away, making for better contact. This is called brute force troubleshooting, lol.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I would be happy if I knew how to do that? Are you talking hypothetically because I haven't found a way to stop it from coming on automatically at start up. If you're talking tech2, then I'm still pleased if it can be done there, I 'd just have to wait a bit as I haven't purchased one yet.
I don't honestly remember if I changed the auto-on setting in the SID or techII but it is very doable. I prefer it off because the overpowering fan is annoying & I also tend to prefer fewer things drawing power when the starter is doing it's thing.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I don't honestly remember if I changed the auto-on setting in the SID or techII but it is very doable. I prefer it off because the overpowering fan is annoying & I also tend to prefer fewer things drawing power when the starter is doing it's thing.
I went into the settings of the SID and on my car at least, it doesn't give you an option to turn off auto-start. Since you said it can be done, it must be through Tech2. That gives me hope. Completely agree with your last statement.

On a side note, I'll be taking the AC blower motor out this weekend due to a slight mechanical noise it's been making for the last couple of years. Hoping a bit of cleanup and Teflon on the bearings will sort that right out. It'll be bliss if I can get the blower motor to be as quiet as original, lol. Guess that just shows how old I'm getting ;)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I was going to say that if you have noise from the blower motor you may need to redo the 'gasket' on the cabin air filter housing but I don't even know if the CV has one. On the sedan the gasket which is basically just silicone commonly fails & allows water to leak onto the blower motor when it rains.

I know you can shut off the auto-on AC from the SID, I can't recall if that's all it took to turn off the auto-on fan feature or if it was more in depth via techII

·
Registered
11,315 Posts
The easiest way to control fan speed is to program the AC not to come on automatically then bump up the fan speed manually. The only subpar option for automatic control is to leave the AC temp close to ambient when you turn the car off so it won't blast. The fan control settings in the SID (high/medium/low) are pitiful IME.
Specifying A/C off by default does NOT stop the tornado at startup. On either the NG9-3, or on my 9-5.

This specifically happens when the car has been sitting in the sun. Interior temperature is already above HI setting in ACC.

On my 9-5, from about May to late September, I set ACC so default at startup is two bars on the fan and A/C off. Rest of the year, A/C off. Unfortunately I know of no way to replicate this with an NG9-3....nor for that matter with the 2006+ 9-5 ACC (similar to the later NG9-3 ACC). Heck, the later 9-5 ACC doesn't even allow for A/C off!

Thanks for that. Yup, the setting in the profiler does nothing to stem the onslaught at start up, lol. Still wondering if Tech 2 can be of help here. Not a huge deal, but we've had the car for 18 years and still annoying, hahaha. Touch and wipe, the new Saab environmental control :LOL:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Bob, if you were able to shut it off, it had to be with tech 2. I've confirmed that yes, there is an AC off option in the SID, but it does not stop the AC from going turbo when starting the car as Ed pointed out.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I had spent wayy too much time poking around with tech II one day just seeing what was available so 8 honestly don't remember what the correct combination was

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The system options of the SID don't function the way I would expect. If all the "AC - on/off" function does is to shut off the AC for the moment, why bother having that function? Just use the AC control panel to do that. It makes no sense to me, but that's a quirk I don't really care about. I'm under the impression that tech 2 is the only way to turn the AC auto off, if it's possible at all. I'm good with that answer if it's the correct answer. Time to get a tech 2.

·
Registered
11,315 Posts
Selecting A/C off in Profiler will have A/C always off unless you switch it on by pressing the A/C button.

The startup tornado happens to a hot car regardless whether A/C is on or off.

If say the ACC is set to 21º, outside temperature is 30º, and inside car in the sun is 40º, the ACC will crank the fan. I am not sure that it recognizes the futility of blowing 30º at you.

Similar stuff happens on a cool but sunny day; you may be quite comfortable with the A/C off, but ACC keeps ramping up the fan speed to compensate for the sun.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Well, drove the car today and part of the info is now back. Specifically, DTE and MPG are back. Another data piece is a puzzle to me - Arrival time??? What arrival time? I don't have navigation, so what arrival time?
If you set your total trip distance it will calculate an estimated arrival time. Saabs have had this since the 9000 with the Saab Car Computer (SCC module) on the 3rd gen 9k.

Reactions: Randy2576

·
Registered
11,315 Posts
What's that? I just turned my Saab on!!! View attachment 290598
Maxell was easily my favourite tape brand. XLI-S. (Didn't really like the "chrome" XLII.) My 9-5 does have a cassette, with Dolby B and C. And I play my old Maxell tapes in it to bring back the 1980s. Good times! :cool:

(I do forget if I used Dolby B or C on the later tapes....resulting in flipping between the two, trying to figure out which sounds right.)

21 - 40 of 77 Posts