SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had this car since it was new and it falls to me to keep her going. I don't mind the job as I am good with cars anyway, but now we are getting into hard to find stuff and stuff we just have to improvise on. Case in point is the interior, especially the black coating on the door pulls, the dash bezel, and various other interior trim pieces. This black stuff starts to get gooey over the years and has started to come off, especially on the door pulls and areas around the dash that are prone to human interaction. I posted a couple of pics, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Seems I can still get the right hand door pull, but so far no luck on the left one. The wrecking yard has borne no fruit as the pulls in those cars, the few cars that match, are as bad or worse than mine.

So I guess I have a couple of options, one of which is possibly wrapping the parts? Not sure how they would hold up, but maybe someone has done it and can give me the low down? Even though I'm skeptical about wrapping the handles, I am hopeful about wrapping the dash bezel. The contours aren't crazy, and the piece isn't all too big. Anyone wrapped their dash bezel? I'm not talking about carbon wrap or some such ricer mod, but wrapping it in a matte black similar to the original trim.

What about the hand brake handle and twin across the isle? Any way to freshen those up? Are there new face plates for the ignition? After 18 years of use, it would really look nice if that were to be replaced.

Finally, I'm not looking for advice on diy spray paint, as I have dealt with enough spray can job and know for a fact that spray can on door pulls and dash bezels simply don't hold up. The original coating Saab used has some kind of rubber or silicone additive to give it more resilience, so anything less just won't cut it.

So, any professional restoration tips you'd like to share? Wrapping advice? Apple pie recipes? Wait, what?
Vehicle Car Automotive design Hood Automotive exterior
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Hood Light Vehicle Bumper Personal luxury car

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
You can wrap the handles. I did so to the driver’s door handle on my ‘08 9-5 and it matches all the others perfectly. Not hard to do, just take your time. I visited my local Signarama and they gave me a 1’x1’ piece of a matte black 3M vinyl - free, too. Ask them for a recommendation on how to clean the substrate. I think I used alcohol but you could try acetone or mineral spirits on an inconspicuous area but they may soften the plastic.

I assume you can do the same for the e-brake and other console handle.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info Steve. How long ago did you wrap the handle? It's held up ok? If it holds a year or two, that should be fine. Wrapping is fast and easy, so not a big deal if it holds for a bit.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
While I'm at it, the long plastic piece at the base of the windshield, covering the wiper motors, is looking pretty worn and cracked. What are my options here? I'll check right now if that's a part I can still buy because the wrecking yard pieces are usually gone or really trashed.

Edit: The part number is 12797844 called the windscreen member.

SaabUSAParts wants $151 run, run, run Forest run....

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wrap was done in ‘16 and it looks like it did then, but it’s a 4D so doesn’t see direct sun like a vert.

You can annually dress the windscreen member with Meguiars Back to Black or similar.
I'm still kicking myself that I didn't notice the slow deterioration of the WSM. It's now cracked in too many places to count. Unless I get lucky in a Wrecking Yard in the next couple of months, I may end up shelling out around $145 for a new one :rolleyes:

The car is still in really good shape, but that piece looks ghetto.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Checking around, I found what may be the answer to an affordable yet stock looking alternative for the wind screen member. Ebay has universal replacement window seal strips. Since mine is molded into the plastic and since only the rubber seal is cracked, I'm just gonna cut the seal off and replace that. By George, I think that will work. A bit of UV protectant on the plastic to get some color back and it should look like new....err, almost new.....well, at least better than it does now.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I would check out the Ferrari forums. They are known for sticky buttons and trim. I know some people go through a cleaning process, prepping process and then I think paint. But don't know how that lasts with real use. Also I believe some services exist to redo there buttons and trim. But not every Ferrari owner wants to pay crazy money for stuff, recently talked to someone with a late 90's 456 and he was telling me when I inquired about getting 20 new wheel bolts for his car the parts quote was over $7000. He was planning to go a different direction with that repair. I think some of the early 2000 Mercedes SL had a similar issue.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There are a lot of shops that charge exorbitant rates because they know there are a lot of wealthy people out there that have money to burn and actually brag about how much something cost. That leaves the rest of us just shaking our heads.......ugh, I'm getting a headache....too much shakin' goin on.

I'll try your suggestion about the Ferrari forums, thanks.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Some of that trim will be available off eBay as previously mentioned and for worn buttons I believe you can get "sheets" of replacement ones. Example. Not sure how you'd tackle the other bits of trim on the top of the dash. I've got a few nicks on mine and other than stripping and re-coating the entire piece I can't see a solution.

Recently I put some faux suede around the handles on my 9-3. Here. A trick I previously did on a V70.

Faded exterior plastic such as the windscreen scuttle/bump strips are improved semi-permanently by Gtechniq C4. Here. Lasts a good two years unlike all the Megs, AG, Back To Black products.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some of that trim will be available off eBay as previously mentioned and for worn buttons I believe you can get "sheets" of replacement ones. Example. Not sure how you'd tackle the other bits of trim on the top of the dash. I've got a few nicks on mine and other than stripping and re-coating the entire piece I can't see a solution.

Recently I put some faux suede around the handles on my 9-3. Here. A trick I previously did on a V70.

Faded exterior plastic such as the windscreen scuttle/bump strips are improved semi-permanently by Gtechniq C4. Here. Lasts a good two years unlike all the Megs, AG, Back To Black products.
Hi Rich,
I'm good on the buttons except for the window switches on the drivers side. Already replaced some of the AC buttons with a sheet like you mentioned. Got lucky and grabbed a clean "Clear" button for the Info display from the wrecking yard. One of our members here sold me a brand new Shift Face for the center console for half the price of a new one. So all in all only the seats (Lseat) and the items I posted above need work.

Looking further into wrapping the dash bezel leads me to suspect that wrapping won't be an option after all. The tunnels going down to the actual gauges are too deep for the wrap to be done in one piece. The second option is exactly what you said - strip and paint the whole bezel. Two of the most recognized products for doing this are Sem Trim paint and Colorbond. Sem is around $17 a can and CB is around $20 a can. The stuff isn't being given away, but most report great results with either. The flat or matte hue is a little bit shinier with Sem, but completely flat with CB.

Hah, I bought C4 about a year ago and then got sidetracked. I was just looking at it in the garage today - never opened. Hope it doesn't expire? Will clean up the exterior plastic tomorrow and finally use that stuff. Thanks for reminding me, lol.

Eric

·
Registered
88 SPG, 96 9000 Aero, 03 9-5 Wagon, 99 9-5 5spd, 03 9-3 SS, 06 9-3 Combi Aero
166 Posts
I fixed my rotten GM rubber coated plastic in a cool way.

First, remove rubberized coating. Giant PITA. I used Citrol and a scrub pad. Took forever.

Then I had all parts painted to match exterior color at an auto body shop. Car is steel grey. In my opinion, it looks great.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Which parts? I'm guessing the door pulls, but what else? Did you know the auto body guy, because in my neck of the woods, ABG's want an arm and a leg to touch anything. I live in Los Angeles, and everyone here charges premium prices, even fly by night guys, it's ridiculous. o_O

What you did sounds super cool though. Would you post a couple of pics?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
If DIY spray painting those interior bits I would use a 2k clearcoat (only spray with a respirator while outdoors) to allow it to hold up to constant use/abuse. Wrapping would probably be the best way to go overall though in terms of time spent vs looks & longevity tbh.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts