SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 9-3 convertible. The main beams function only when in reverse gear, either with DRL or "switch position 2"; high beams do not function. No SID message about failure. The bulbs show continuity (both high and main headlamps -- and the mains work but only when manual trans is in reverse!). The high beam indicator does not come on, and the mains stay on (again only in reverse gear) when the high beam lever is toggled. I've tested the two headlamp relays (both function), but not the orange one. All fuses are good, and there's power to left-side of dashboard fuses 15 and 27. Front and read fog lights work. I suspect the orange relay or the DICE, but only because I have no clear way to test them without a tech 2 scantool.

So, the mains working in reverse is wierder than no high beams, but both have me baffled. :roll: Ideas?

·
Registered
9,448 Posts
So, the mains working in reverse is wierder than no high beams, but both have me baffled. :roll: Ideas?
Whenever I hear of strange electrical doings like these, I think, "bad ground". When you put it in reverse, I suspect that you are grounding the headlights as well. This should be easy enough to test, see if there's +12V on the headlight positive connection, and (more importantly) ground at the ground connection for the headlight bulb. If no continuity to ground, put it in reverse and see. :cool:

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
I'd third the ground issue, check the one in the trunk on the drivers side (just forward of the drain exits). I recently had a bunch of problems including weird light behavior that was caused by that bad ground, I relocated mine to the side of the inner fender where it would be less susceptible to moisture collecting on the trunk floor. Could also be the one on the inner front fenders.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
solution: 3 solder joints loose on orange relay

All the advice here fits what I was thinking, but I looked inside the orange relay first, because it's easier. Three of the seven or eight solder joints joining the circuit board to the connector tabs were cracked/open! Resoldered, and both main and high beams work! Earthworm was the hero here ;ol;. So THAT dragon slain, of course our Chevy Malibu threw a trouble code yesterday :lol:(coolant related, not an expensive one), so I'm on to that... Thanks to all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts