SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Signs are pointing towards a failing MAF sensor I think (rich mixture, black smoke), am I to understand there is supposed to be a filament hanging from the small wafer inside the sensor? (If so I have no such filament, only the wafer).

I can't find a decent picture of it in the Haynes manual or in the WIS.

Anyone know procedure for how to test for resistance and on which pins?

-zen

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I doubt if you, or anyone will find any decent photos in the Haynes..
Haynes uses "grammes" a unit of measuring quantities of air flow.
No flow............... = 0.2 volts
33 grammes/sec = 2.6 v
133..... ...............= 4.6 v
Haynes does not seem to give any testing detail...only some specs and R and R instructions which are generally useless....the air flow numbers I have given is probably useless as well.

I have never serviced a MAF....I should at least check mine, the MPG is not so good (22.7)

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89810&highlight=mass+flow

Hope this helps ; the thread originator titled it as ...MAF.. making the search ever so quick and easy..There could be 7,213 threads on this subject..

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there supposed to be a filament/wire coming from the small wafer chip extending to the bottom of the rectangle enclosure in the photo I posted?

I remember on my Ford Probe the MAF had a filament, I don't' see one on the SAAB MAF. Hence I'm wondering if it's malfunctioning.

-zen

earthworm said:
I doubt if you, or anyone will find any decent photos in the Haynes..
Haynes uses "grammes" a unit of measuring quantities of air flow.
No flow............... = 0.2 volts
33 grammes/sec = 2.6 v
133..... ...............= 4.6 v
Haynes does not seem to give any testing detail...only some specs and R and R instructions which are generally useless....the air flow numbers I have given is probably useless as well.

I have never serviced a MAF....I should at least check mine, the MPG is not so good (22.7)

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The filament is fragile, the miles high, the age great, heat and vibration do it again...

The odds are against the MAF's effective life beyond 10 years, 150K miles ...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is running rich a symptom of a failing MAF?

As for the photo, I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself properly. Is the wafer the filament? Or should there be a filament extending from that wafer to the bottom of the MAF housing? (the area I circled in the photo)

-zen

earthworm said:
The filament is fragile, the miles high, the age great, heat and vibration do it again...

The odds are against the MAF's effective life beyond 10 years, 150K miles ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts