SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a 1999 Saab 9-5 with a B205E
I am wondering if it is advisable to use an appropriate cleaner to clean the mass air flow sensor.
I believe it has never been cleaned in 170000km.
Gas mileage seems fine (9.5km per liter of LPG gas) but I am wondering if one day the motor will run lean due to a bad MAF.

Are there any risks in cleaning the sensor? Is it easy to damage? Should I ask a professional to do that?

Thanks for all the advices!

Note: I did already all the other due maintenance: oil every 3K miles, sump cleaned twice, installed PCV#6, cleaned throttle body, changed sparks plug and CPS....

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
It is doable very easily. Just be aware of how thin the 3 sensors are. There are MAF cleaner sprays available in the market.

You can also clean the intake air temperature sensor, located close to the diverter valve location.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I use a CRC brand Mass Airflow Sensor cleaner every time I change the air cleaner. It's not expensive and stocked at several local auto parts stores. It cured a CEL on my sisters 1.8T VW Beetle. Gave it lots of pep back.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Ditto to the brand and results. I think my can was about $7 and that has lasted a very long time cleaning a few saab's MAF's around the 'ranch'.

A few sprays, let it evaporate, do it again, replace and makes for good results and/or preventative maintenance.

I honestly think the MAF going slightly askew could be a great reason for these engines popping pistons.

-bny

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just came back from auto shop. My 9-3 is spitting out code P0100 (mass airflow sensor problem).

I might have to try this cleaning spray solution before replacing with a new part.

Any of you guys know where is this sensor located?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I just came back from auto shop. My 9-3 is spitting out code P0100 (mass airflow sensor problem).

I might have to try this cleaning spray solution before replacing with a new part.

Any of you guys know where is this sensor located?
Should be right on the air intake snorkel coming out of the passenger side.

·
Registered
23 Posts
MAF location

Anyone know where the MAF is located on a '99 B204R engine (the 200 hp turbo in the 9-3 SE). My WIS tells where it is on a normally aspirated engine and the Viggen but not the turbo that I can find. I would think it would be after the air filter and before the turbo.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Anyone know where the MAF is located on a '99 B204R engine (the 200 hp turbo in the 9-3 SE). My WIS tells where it is on a normally aspirated engine and the Viggen but not the turbo that I can find. I would think it would be after the air filter and before the turbo.

Might be worth asking in the 9-3 forum ;)

·
Registered
115 Posts
It is located right next to the air filter box.

There is a hose that goes from the air filter box to the engine area. Right between the air filter box and hose is the mass airflow sensor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts