SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've learned quite a few things on this site in a year but still am unclear about the production of my car. The label reads "made in sweden" but if I am correct GM has half-owned Saab since 1990, and owned it 100% the year my car came out (2000). Does this have any correlation with the country in which the car is actually made? Do I actually have a Swedish vehicle, or an American one with a badge? :roll:

Apologies for what appears to be an irrelevant question in what is probably the wrong forum as well... just would like some factual verification. The info I'm currently going by can be found below.

http://www.forbes.com/2002/12/02/cx_jf_1202flint.html

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Saab is GM owned just like it owns Opel (Germany), Holden (Australia) and Vauxall (England) which are also assembled in their respective countries (as far as I know). However many of the GM cars will share parts which are probably mostly made in China or Mexico in NA. So your Saab was assembled in Sweden. Note that the Viggen was assembled in Finland by a company called Valmet.

GM has also 'rebadged' some vehicles as it's own such as the Toyota Corolla which became the Chevy Nova, or more close to home, the Subaru WRX which became the Saab 9.2 and the Tahoe (or is it the Envoy....SUVs all look the same to me) which is the Saab 9.7. These vehicles are assembled on the same assembly lines (far as I know) with a few different parts and options.

Like GM, Ford owns Jaguar, Volvo, Land Rover and Mazda. You will note some similiarities in size and shape of some cars. BMW owns Mini and Rolls Royce, and so it continues.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
If you have an NG900/9-3, your car is built and assembled in either Sweden or Finland, with parts sourced from various countries in the EU, Asia, and US. :)

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
It's mostly made out of GM of Europe parts. Go to the dealer's parts counter and you'll find that most everything is made in Sweden, Germany, or France. I've seen a few Viggen parts that are made in the UK, and some of the switchgear comes from Japan.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much... I'm happy to hear that my beast was manufactured in Sweden. :cheesy: For some reason I kept believing my car was assembled at GM in Detroit or wherever it is.

/thread

1 - 5 of 5 Posts