SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our Shop beater 2.3i We decided to play a little more than the intake pipe. We also needed to baseline it and incrementally test the parts the gains were pretty decent. Maybe if there is time I will roll the cams a little in the morning to see what difference it makes. Was pretty fun I may try a little different manifold design but this one worked pretty close to what we had expected from the calculations.

More of the individual graphs here: gallery/23i

·
Registered
933 Posts
It says on the graph intakeheader. Still that's pretty cool, you can see on the graph the intake alone doesn't do much. Was that with the stock catback?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stock center resonator and straight through rear pipe. You can see pics in that gallery link. We gave the muffler to a poor college student years ago. :D I don't have any more factory rear mufflers to test with. They always go cheap to local people.

This car is otherwise stock except for AC delete, Light flywheel, Viggen clutch and rear muffler delete. Some suspension parts, Vig rear springs, some bushings, mounts, rack brace and 6 point.

·
Registered
771 Posts
NickTaliaferro said:
Stock center resonator and straight through rear pipe. You can see pics in that gallery link. We gave the muffler to a poor college student years ago. :D I don't have any more factory rear mufflers to test with. They always go cheap to local people.

This car is otherwise stock except for AC delete, Light flywheel, Viggen clutch and rear muffler delete. Some suspension parts, Vig rear springs, some bushings, mounts, rack brace and 6 point.
lol if you want a stock muffler i got on lying around in the garage, never even seen salt lol

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
You guys really do create very beautiful looking pieces of metal, not sure what it is about your parts, but I want to buy this one from you (even though it wouldn't fit on my car), just because it looks so good.

I guess I'm just saying thanks. ;)

·
Registered
804 Posts
I'm guessing you have a header design program? I'm not used to seeing the Tri-Y so late in the piping. But what I read is oooold from "The Scientific Design of Exhaust and Intake Systems" ... so eh? :cheesy: I know there's newer stuff.

I just don't see how the Tri-Y's "effective stop length" would work with that header design ... but, like I said, you probably have newer info. I haven't been into this for a while. ;oops:

I just remember what I read from that book, and a couple SAE papers. Just curious how you're pulling off defying the laws of convention this time. hehe.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Adrian W said:
I'm guessing you have a header design program? I'm not used to seeing the Tri-Y so late in the piping. But what I read is oooold from "The Scientific Design of Exhaust and Intake Systems" ... so eh? :cheesy: I know there's newer stuff.

I just don't see how the Tri-Y's "effective stop length" would work with that header design ... but, like I said, you probably have newer info. I haven't been into this for a while. ;oops:

I just remember what I read from that book, and a couple SAE papers. Just curious how you're pulling off defying the laws of convention this time. hehe.
i've seen dc headers that are kinda like that

not as long tho, hmm

·
Registered
804 Posts
mfyoung said:
i've seen dc headers that are kinda like that

not as long tho, hmm
I just can't see the "stopped length" technique working well with that sort of stopped-length and primary length. According to all my calculators, it's only a modest improvement compared to a 4-1 header of similar primary length.

It does reduce adjacent-cylinder interference, but not sure how much. A standard set of Tri-Y headers with saaaay, 14" stopped length, but that same primary length, should work well in the low end ... and a shorter primary length, equally, or better, in the high-end ... with less pipe = less cost.

But only theoretically and only with my, perhaps too antiquated, formulas. I mean, there are resonance iterations to consider, since each pipe "rings" and sometimes only computer-based algorythms with many, many, iterations, work well.

Since I have no clue what Nick's using ... heck if I know how it would compare except to say that it, too, would be much better than stock. Beyond that ... need testing!

Thank you, Nick, for all the testing! :cheesy::cheesy:

edit: Also, anyone interested, www.burnsstainless.com has a great page on header design theory!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Adrian W said:
I just can't see the "stopped length" technique working well with that sort of stopped-length and primary length. According to all my calculators, it's only a modest improvement compared to a 4-1 header of similar primary length.

It does reduce adjacent-cylinder interference, but not sure how much. A standard set of Tri-Y headers with saaaay, 14" stopped length, but that same primary length, should work well in the low end ... and a shorter primary length, equally, or better, in the high-end ... with less pipe = less cost.

But only theoretically and only with my, perhaps too antiquated, formulas. I mean, there are resonance iterations to consider, since each pipe "rings" and sometimes only computer-based algorythms with many, many, iterations, work well.

Since I have no clue what Nick's using ... heck if I know how it would compare except to say that it, too, would be much better than stock. Beyond that ... need testing!

Thank you, Nick, for all the testing! :cheesy::cheesy:

edit: Also, anyone interested, www.burnsstainless.com has a great page on header design theory!
yeah my header design theory is not so up to date, might stop by noble (our engineering library) and take a look see

good article btw

·
Registered
144 Posts
do you plan on sell those? if so i want one asap

NickTaliaferro said:
On our Shop beater 2.3i We decided to play a little more than the intake pipe. We also needed to baseline it and incrementally test the parts the gains were pretty decent. Maybe if there is time I will roll the cams a little in the morning to see what difference it makes. Was pretty fun I may try a little different manifold design but this one worked pretty close to what we had expected from the calculations.

More of the individual graphs here: gallery/23i

1 - 14 of 14 Posts