SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming that one does not have a big torque wrench, what would be the ROT "torque" when tightening them by hand with a wheel cross-wrench?

2000 SE V6 Wagon 97k

·
Registered
708 Posts
Kind of hard to say, it will depend on the size of the x-cross wheel wrench and the size of the forearms involved.:cheesy:

Once the nuts are tight, drop the wheel to ground and give it another crank.
You'll know when it's tight enough.

Regards,
cse_20

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hehe, I guess I'll know when it's tight enough :cheesy:

My question was more concerned about whether I'll know when they are too tight. WIS mentions to tighten them to certain torque, but are you gonna damage them if you tighten a little too hard?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Yes................. you could crack the alloy wheel

How can someone via the internet tell you how tight you should make them when you havent got a torque wrench :confused:

I'll try:

Ok, finger tight aint good :nono;
^
^
About this tight is cool ;)
^
^
Strain till you fill your pants - too tight :nono;

·
Registered
192 Posts
I thought it was near 80ft-lbs but I could be off by 20% either way. I know my ford is 155ft-lbs but the thing weighs 7000lbs empty.

Or you can use star torque with a short socket wrench.

Pull it till you see stars...just don't do that with a big wrench or you will break something.

Important to tighten lugs in a pattern so that you get even seating.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Yes that was the jest of what I was trying to say, without a torque wrench you could be way over.

But I disagree that you could actually way over tighten them by hand and crack an alloy. Most garages use way more presure on their air guns than what you can actually do by hand.

My bolts on my older SAABs where next to impossible to take off by hand when I had the rims changed by the indies. The new bolts with the washers are much easier to take off even if over tightened.

Regards,
CSE_20

·
Registered
71 Posts
8AA2YM said:
Have an 80 pound kid sit on the end of the 1-foot long wrench handle.
Or, slip an eight foot long cheater bar over the wrench handle and hang a bag of potatoes from the end. :cheesy:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
fathom39 said:
Or, slip an eight foot long cheater bar over the wrench handle and hang a bag of potatoes from the end. :cheesy:
Or use a 20ft scaffold pole and ...................maybe not :p

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Recommended torque, hmmmmmm

I'd say lean on the wrench with about half your weight and you should be good. ;)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, all of you have been very helpful.

Btw, does anyone live in VA and have a child? Approx. around 80lbs would be perfect. :D

:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts